243 Win bullet for fur

Honestly, I haven't found any bullet that is easy on fur 100% of the time. I've shot the 55gr BST, 58gr VMAX, 70gr NBT, 80gr TTSX, 85gr SGK, and 95gr NBT out of my Weatherby Vanguard on our big Saskatchewan coyotes.

The only one that NEVER got ugly was the 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting, and I had them loaded real mild at around 2650 FPS. BUT I also didn't shoot many coyotes with that load either.

The 70 gr Ballistic Tip was okay about 75% of the time, but if you took a broadside shot at under 200 yards... good luck.

The wee bitty bullets like the 55gr and 58gr gave me the most ungodly exits I've seen short of the time I used a .300 Weatherby. Frontal shots were excellent, but again, broadside shots at under 200 would mean chunks everywhere.
AND, to answer your question- "How bout the 80gr TTSX?" Well, for the number of coyotes I shot with it, it was probably the most consistent performer. It was OKAY. You won't keep them from exiting, that's for sure. But they don't expand a ton, so the exits aren't usually awful unless that bullet is still reeeeaaalllly moving when it hits.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.