243 Win bullet for fur

yote doctor

Needing feedback from guys using this caliber for coyotes. I like to use this caliber for calling situations where coyotes hang up at that 350-500 yard range. My rifle shoots the 95 gr Bergers in a bug hole but not fur friendly at all. Looking for a good bullet with ok B.C. that will save me some sewing. Questions on the following.

Barnes 85gr TSX BTHP

Sierra 70 and 85 gr HP

Thanks!

I have experience with the 85 SGK. I always had runners. No experience with kills with the barns 80 TSSX or the sierra 70 grain.
I used the 88 berger and the 87 berger. I am now going to the 70 TNT.
88's worked as long as I didn't hit too far back. Had slight runners with the 87's.
55 nosler bal tips worked the best for fur with my old barrel. My new douglas barrel likes the TNT's the best.

I doubt you'll see a lot of damage with the TTSX. I shot a big badger with a 150 out of my .300WSM the last day of deer season with minimal damage. They just don't open up like a normal expanding bullet. That said, my son ran 105 A-Maxes out of his .243 Ackley. If your ROT is fast enough, they are surprisingly fragile and stayed inside more coyotes than you might imagine. When they slow down, they'll exit more often. Have you considered finding a 58 or 65 grain V-max load that shoots to the same point of impact as a 105 load? A few 105's in your pocket for the hang-ups. Good luck, Brian.

Thanks for the reply's.

I have used the 58gr Vmax in the past. And dropped a couple coyotes with them and found there to be very little damage. Facing 80 yard shot and quartering away 120 yard shot. My issue is the low bc on these smaller bullets. I have shot many rockchucks with this same bullet and have to hold a pretty good amount of wind.

And I have not read anything on performance with the 58gr at the distances listed in my first post.

That being said, I have been told by the smith that built Randy Anderson and Shawn Haydens rifles for Primos Truth videos that Shawn is and has been using the 85gr TSX BT with good success. Also the smith's bullet of choice. Claims there are exits but more like half dollar sized holes. Which we all know usually means runners.

I guess I will just have to see for myself. Heading to store now:rolleyes:

I know for a while that Shawn was using 80 gr Hornady spitz soft points in his 243 Ackley. The amount of drt yotes in the vids proves it is a good bullet. Sometimes coyotes run off regardless what they are shot with. And sometimes they drop on the spot. Regardless of what they are shot with. Up to a point at least. I didn't have any runners with my 416 Remington. But then the hide wasn't able to be sewn back together.

Needing feedback from guys using this caliber for coyotes. I like to use this caliber for calling situations where coyotes hang up at that 350-500 yard range. My rifle shoots the 95 gr Bergers in a bug hole but not fur friendly at all. Looking for a good bullet with ok B.C. that will save me some sewing. Questions on the following.

Barnes 85gr TSX BTHP

Sierra 70 and 85 gr HP

Thanks!

I've used, and use a lot of the Sierra 70gr'er HPBT Match as well as Berger 90 gr Match BT Target for popping fur hounds, it's not in a .243 Win; but rather my 6XC on a custom (older) Weatherby Varmintmaster I had re-barreled to 6XC.. it runs pretty close to the .243 Win and the bullets shoot great. The Berger 90gr works better than the Sierra 85gr'ers in my rifle.

Cheer's

Attachments

• 6XC Varmintmaster .22-250 re barrel 023.jpg
    6XC Varmintmaster .22-250 re barrel 023.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 159
I would give the Barnes 85 TSX a try, I shot a coyote @100 yards with .257 Weatherby Mag broadside with 115 Barnes TSX and their was a exit hole smaller then a dime.

Barnes 85gr TSX BTHP

Sierra 70 and 85 gr HP

Thanks!

Iv'e used a lot of 70 gr NBTs at 3750 fps. I have had pretty good luck with it. I'm not saying I never ruin a pelt but I can keep about 4 out of every 5 or so. I have killed coyotes out to 721 yards and as close as 10 yards with this load.

Killed 2 the other day with my 240 Weatherby. It has a 27" Brux & pushes the 90 Accubond at 3450 fps. They will work on broadside shots. Exit holes will not be too bad.
Kirk

SHot 8 yote so far this year with the 70gr Nbt and they are working pretty good for me. If your not watching where your shooting them, you can make a mess like pretty much anything else.

Like this guy
12-08-14spinedyoteshole_zpsbcba23ee.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.