.243 savage model 10

That is what I love about savage, I can switch the barrels in my reloading room myself. This weekend I'm going to get it out of the stock and inspect the trigger and bedding. I was thinking of seeing how this factory barrel shoots with bullets meant for the twist. And getting a .284 win. Barrel. What do you guys think of the .284 in the savage 10? Will I be able to use the current mag set up? Its going to get crazy with this savage I can already see it. Haha

I agree that the 9.25 twist is not the most favorable for the 105, but it will shoot small enough out to 300 yards to kill Deer. I have mine shooting under .75 moa at 100yards. The 1-8 is what you would want for the 105. The .243 case capacity with the right powder out of a 26" barrel will get velocities of around 2900 fps with the 105. I shoot 3 6mm Competition Match barrels in comp 2 are 7.5 and 1 is 7.65 twist, all running the 115 DTAC. This cartridge parent case is the .243. My 27"is running 3153 fps and my 30" is 3275 fps with the Dtac and H1000. The 3rd barrel is on stand by waiting to be screwed on when the 27" opens up. I would give Jim Briggs a call on a barrel, he is a great guy to deal with. Plenty of pre-fits being sold these days. A word of advice stay away from RL 25 it will eat a .243 up fast.

I needed a long action for my 6.5x284. Check the OAL of the cartridge compared to the magazine well.
Yea I think a long action would be better. Maybe a 7-08 would be a easier set up. I think a may just open up the barrel channel and get a 26in heavy .243 1 in 8 barrel. But if the factory barrel shoots I might just keep it. It should be good for 500 yards and when I want to shoot 1000 yard steel I'll get my 30-06 and fire away..lol.

GunShack has McGowan and ER Shaw pre-fit 26" 1-8 twist ss .243 barrels at good prices. They have other calibers that you have mentioned. I've owned 2 Savage 7-08 barrels. The first was a 22" 1-9 twist that shot the 162 gr. Amax around 1moa at 850 yards. The second one that I currently own is the 1-11, I got it to shoot the 120 gr. NBT in for my wife. This thing has wrecked some Deer. I prefer the 1-9 but the rifle is for her.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.