.243 savage model 10

gohring3006

I just had a model 10 gifted to me this evening. I was wondering if anybody knows the factory twist rate for it. And what powder you have good luck with. And if its easy to adjust trigger pull on the accutrigger dang thing feels like it set at 8 lbs. I like heavy bullets so I was wonder in about a good bullet that will stabilize with the factory twist.. thanks

Did you get the manual with the rifle? If not, the trigger at worst is 6lbs. The trigger should go down to about 2.5 lbs. When you buy the rifle new it comes with a slotted adjustment tool for the trigger. The barrel twist is 9-9.5, I can't remember. I own 3 of those barrels 1unfired and the other 2 shoot 105 Amax's verygood.

I didn't get the manual it was given to me from my father in law he may still have the manual if not I suppose I could google it LOL. I like what I'm hearing about the 105 Amax that is the bullet I was hoping to stabilize. Thank you for the help..

a friend has one in 243. It is a real tack driver! 3 shot 1 hole groups all day long.
He has told me that he uses IMR3031 100 grn hollow points but, he will not tell anyone the charge weights of any of his loads.

a friend has one in 243. It is a real tack driver! 3 shot 1 hole groups all day long.
He has told me that he uses IMR3031 100 grn hollow points but, he will not tell anyone the charge weights of any of his loads.

Thanks I'll have to check and see if my GS has that powder. I can get IMR 4350 and 4064 by the bucket load but they don't seem to stock much else if they do I can't get there fast enough..

I load all my cartridges. If you are a loader or going to start loading I will help you out. My self, my bro, and buddy have all dropped nice deer where they stood with the Amax out of our .243's. You can see the manual on line. IMR3031 can be a little rough on the throat area, it's great for speed. Post what powders you can get and we'll run QL on them. I just re-read your post, and see the powders you have available.

I load all my cartridges. If you are a loader or going to start loading I will help you out. My self, my bro, and buddy have all dropped nice deer where they stood with the Amax out of our .243's. You can see the manual on line. IMR3031 can be a little rough on the throat area, it's great for speed. Post what powders you can get and we'll run QL on them. I just re-read your post, and see the powders you have available.
Thank you very much.
I have reloaded 30-06 for many years but never .243 he also gave me 100 once fired win brass and 50 new win brass. I have about 1 pound of 4064 and 2 pounds of imr 4350 just got to get some Amax.

This page says 24 inch 9.25 twist. IMO from shooting my 26 inch 9.25 twist for many years is that 243 doesn't have the case capacity to effectively shoot over 100 gr pills. I zeroed in my 243 to only use 100 gr.

The 1:9.25 twist rate is correct. For high BC bullets (including 95gr Berger) a 1:8 barrel is much better. I changed my barrel out before I had 100 rounds through it. Real easy to do on a Savage.

You should easily be able to adjust that trigger down. I have not had to work on any of my accutriggers yet other than adjusting the spring preload.

The heaviest bullet I could shoot out of my factory barrel (a 26" varmint barrel on a model 12) was the 95gr SST from Hornady. The 95gr + VLD's would not group at all.

I am using Hodgdon 4350. for a 95gr bullet 41gr is listed as a maximum load. My chamber is an ackley, so the 41gr is a good fireforming load for me and is also my coyote hunting load. When I get a big enough batch of brass, I will develop my 105gr load.

The 1:9.25 twist rate is correct. For high BC bullets (including 95gr Berger) a 1:8 barrel is much better. I changed my barrel out before I had 100 rounds through it. Real easy to do on a Savage.

You should easily be able to adjust that trigger down. I have not had to work on any of my accutriggers yet other than adjusting the spring preload.

The heaviest bullet I could shoot out of my factory barrel (a 26" varmint barrel on a model 12) was the 95gr SST from Hornady. The 95gr + VLD's would not group at all.

I am using Hodgdon 4350. for a 95gr bullet 41gr is listed as a maximum load. My chamber is an ackley, so the 41gr is a good fireforming load for me and is also my coyote hunting load. When I get a big enough batch of brass, I will develop my 105gr load.

Thanks,
I was researching more and come to the same conclusion. I think I would be on the edge of stability with the 105 amax. I have a trigger pull scale just haven't had time to go to my reloading room and mess with the trigger. My TC Venture trigger is 3 lbs and the savage trigger feels way heavier. I definitely have to lighten it up. Its a nice rifle and it shoots the light weights at 1moa or better, I seen this at the range with my father in law. I just think with my perfectionist reloading demeanor. I can get the trigger light and find a good heavier bullet load it should do better than 1moa.

I have the same gun ( also the 9.25 twist) and also couldn't get the 95's VLD's to stabilize. But the 87 gr. VLD's shoot great. Me and my dad both have .243's, he has an Ithaca, and we both shoot H4350. Nice thing about the .243 is there is a lot of suitable powders.

A good match barrel will set you back ~$330 with correct twist rate. If you want to get going right away, avoid the Ackley since it complicates brass, dies etc. The Shillen barrel I have shoots well under 1/2 MOA. You might have to wait a bit longer for a sporter barrel, but that would be more suited to a rifle that you might have to pack for miles. I think going with the 8 twist was the right move. It will shoot everything but the 115/116gr perfectly.

If you take the action out the stock, you will see where the spring is installed in the trigger and can probably rotate it with a jewellers screwdriver. At the same time, you might want to investigate bedding and barrel clearance in the stock.

Thanks,
I was researching more and come to the same conclusion. I think I would be on the edge of stability with the 105 amax. I have a trigger pull scale just haven't had time to go to my reloading room and mess with the trigger. My TC Venture trigger is 3 lbs and the savage trigger feels way heavier. I definitely have to lighten it up. Its a nice rifle and it shoots the light weights at 1moa or better, I seen this at the range with my father in law. I just think with my perfectionist reloading demeanor. I can get the trigger light and find a good heavier bullet load it should do better than 1moa.

Yup, you're not likely to get over 100gr without replacing the barrel. I got excellent accuracy from my factory Savage barrel with the 87gr Vmax and H414. I've ordered a 243 AI 1:8" to replace it and shoot 105gr Amax.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.