Winshester model 70 ...243

-JR-

Finaly got some cases for my Model 70 243. Just wondering if anyone else has a Model 70 in 243 and what kind of loads you got going. Would like to get a heavy bulet and a light bullet loaded . Any Advice.

Finaly got some cases for my Model 70 243. Just wondering if anyone else has a Model 70 in 243 and what kind of loads you got going. Would like to get a heavy bulet and a light bullet loaded . Any Advice.

Win 70 vs Rem 700 vs other won't make too much difference.

You first need to determine the twist rate of your barrel which will dictate what bullets you should expect to stabilize.

If it's a new rifle, the mfg paperwork or website may tell you the twist. Otherwise, you can measure it.

-- richard

JR- you do not sat where you are. deer are not equal the whitetails here are 75 pounds. the whitetails in alberta are 300 and cost 7.5k to hunt. varmints?? prairie dogs? coyotes? i use a 70 balistic tip for coyotes and a 95 partition for deer.

Sounds like some throphy hunting Stories. Lived in alberta over 50 years ,garage is covered with alot of deer horns most are 5x5 and I don't thank they went over 200 lbs.
Had some one pick up some bullets for me today while I was at work Some 87 V max and some 105 HPBT Hornady Match bullets.
Did not want those 105 at all . wanted some 100 sp. Hornady
Don't thank those match bullets were made fore big game.
Also asked them to pickup more H4831 and some Rem 9.5
They brought me back some 9.5 M ! Not good again !
Any one use Mag primers on a 243 ?

i use varget andd I4064 for the lighter bullets and h4350 for the heavier ones. h4831 would be good with the heavier ones for sure. and trying different primers can tell you which one the gun likes.

I have been shooting a few 55g Noslers and 62g Barnes Varmint Grenades for light loads using Varget and H380. My neighbor actually loads 55g Noslers for kids to shoot deer with because of the light recoil and good performance not that I would recommend it.

62g VG, 40.5g Varget and a WLR at 2.650 " is sub moa to over 400yards in my M700sps.

I usually use the Sierra 85g HPBT GameKing for deer on top of H4350, IMR4350, or H414. Usually 44g and a WLR or BR2 primer. 4831 would also work for these bullets. RL17 is pretty impressive as it seems to be for anything that would normally use 4350.

Winchester factory barrels are know to usually be a bit on the big side in groove diameter. SAAMI spec's 'em at .243.

If you can slug the barrel then measure its groove diameter, get bullets that are a few ten-thousandths larger. If your groove measures .2438, you will probably get best accuracy with those at .2440 or bigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.