243 Peterson Brass Vs WIN Brass Case Capacity H20

DoneNOut

WIN:
Grain Weight empty 3 case ave: 163.4gr. H20 Case weight 219.6gr. 56.2gr H2O capacity.

Peterson:
Grain weight empty 3 case ave: 173.5. H20 case weight 227.4gr. 53.9gr H2O capacity.

That doesn't surprise me. Other than Hornady, Winchester has the highest case capacity of anything I've loaded for. Peterson usually has low case capacity. ADG has the lowest case capacity per cartridge - so much so it can cause serious overpressure problems even when starting 10% below book max.

that's about right my Hornady 55.6 and Peterson 53.6. But the Peterson will hold a lot more pressure. put 2-3 warm to hot loads in Hornady and they loosen primers but run the some velocities in Peterson and it laughs and keeps going

That doesn't surprise me. Other than Hornady, Winchester has the highest case capacity of anything I've loaded for. Peterson usually has low case capacity. ADG has the lowest case capacity per cartridge - so much so it can cause serious overpressure problems even when starting 10% below book max.
I know that ADG even says their brass has lower capacity but my ADG 6.5 saum brass has about 2 grains more h2o capacity than the nosler brass I was using.

Peterson brass comes with a warning concerning case capacity and reloading practices due to case volume issues.
Kudos to them. Rookie reloaders easily make mistakes with that issue. Our local PMP cases suffer the same fate. They are however strong in construction but not very consistent.

If starting from scratch, start 10%below minimum listed charge weight. Experience may teach you some short cuts later. Even if this requires a couple hundred grains of powder, a few bullets and primers, it's far less expensive than a trip to the gunsmith or worse yet, the hospital.

Runnin norma lg pri and peterson sm pri brass in my 260 gas gun
norma powder charge is 42 grs
peterson powder charge is 41.7 grs same grp size same point of impact. but 25 fps slower in peterson brass.
in a bolt rifle you could bump up the powder in peterson and get fps back but gasgun pressure curves are alot different and u really need to "read" ur brass to stay inside the limits and brass life .
on bigger cases im sure the grain differences will be greater

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.