Case capacity .308 Win vs Norma brass

earplay

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone had experience changing from Win to Norma brass in .308. I roughly came up with about 1.2gns less capacity in the Norma using powder as a measure.

How does this translate to reduction in charge? I was running 45gns Varget behind a 178 Amax in the Win brass but have started working up from 43gns in the Norma. I also had my barrel shorted slightly so my velocity figures aren't a reliable guide.

Any rough ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

I can't help but I'd be checking for consistancy. Pick the brand with the most uniform vol..

When changing components always work up again. There are no safe short cuts I'm afraid.

How did you compare capacity with Win to Norma?
Were both case brands fully fireformed to your chamber?

You'll have to work up a new load for a brass change.

I just used varget powder. Both cases at least once fired. I understand water would be a better gauge, just powder was quick and easy. I am in the process of working up a new load, was just wondering if anyone had made the same change.

With one of my 30-30 loads, a case capacity difference of 0.5gn worked out to require a 0.3gn change in charge weight.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts