243 cal. (95 gr Bergers) on Coyotes

yote doctor

Just developed a good load with my new 243. Im shooting the 95 gr Bergers (hunting). Looking forward to dropping some coyotes this fall with it. In the past I have been using a 22-250 with a 55 gr NBT. Little different bullet here.

Looking for some feedback on how well these work on dogs. How fur friendly they are. And what distances! gun)

I tried them and found that they didn't open well past 175yds. I had several coyotes that ran quite a distance after the shot on a broadside lung hit at longer ranges. I would have lost 2 of those coyotes without snow. On the closer shots they anchored them quickly. I was getting 2900fps muzzle velocity from a 20" 243 so maybe I just wasn't pushing them hard enough for the longer ranges.

The bergers are made to penetrate 2-3" before expansion, that is pretty deep into a broadside coyote before the bullet begins opening. I like 75gr V-max bullets from my gun, but they don't hold a candle to the bergers in the wind. I also tried 95gr SMK bullets and they performed like the Bergers.

I didn't like the Bergers in this caliber/weight for coyotes, a shot where the bullet had 10-12" of tissue to expand in caused excessive pelt damage and a broadside shot didn't expand enough in my book. They do work great on whitetail, they have enough chest cavity depth for the bullet to do it's job in.

I couldn't stabilize the 95g Berger Match, so i dropped down to the 90g berger match and they did a very good job at killing coyotes, but beings you're after fur, they were not to fur friendly. They left a hole the size of a baseball on the exit. All my shots were within 300yds with the ones that I tested out.

xdeano

make sure your shooting the hunting vld. the targets are too unreliable. every coyote i shot with my .260 130 vld hunting bullet dropped and the bullet didn't come out anywhere. shots were from 70 to 650 yards. the ony blood came out the mouth. entrance was almost impossible to find.

They are the hunting bullets. Thanks for the info. Guess I will have to go let the air out of a few dogs and find out.

Can someone tell me how to post pics!

I have seen the info on how to do it but its been awhile.

Thanks guys!

Shot two coyotes last year with the 95's out of a 6 Dasher running just under 3100. First was about 150 quartering at me, center punched with a nasty exit behind the opposite shoulder. Second dog missed a broadside chip shot at 100, but leveled him on the flying run with a too much lead head shot and minimal damage. More testing to come.....

Second victim.

001-5.jpg

Yote Doctor,
I getting ready to load some 95gr Bergers. What's your recipe if you don't mind sharing. I'm shooting a savage model 11. Hoping to use it on southern whitetails out to 500 yds??

My picture above is a little fuzzy.

So....

This was the best group I have ever shot with a rifle. Just using bags in the back of my truck. Not trying to pat my own back just very excited obout this load.:)

Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 (24 in) After 40 rounds of break-in.
45gr- H4831SC
OAL 2.825 (in the lands)
3050 fps

We tried this in my father inlaws rifle and it also shot very wellgun)
Havent shot this past 100 yrds yet. Waiting on a new scope and will start reaching out there a little. Hope it helps. Let me know your results.

Last edited:
My picture above is a little fuzzy.

So....

This was the best group I have ever shot with a rifle. Just using bags in the back of my truck. Not trying to pat my own back just very excited obout this load.:)

Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 (24 in) After 40 rounds of break-in.
45gr- H4831SC
OAL 2.325 (in the lands)
3050 fps

We tried this in my father inlaws rifle and it also shot very wellgun)
Havent shot this past 100 yrds yet. Waiting on a new scope and will start reaching out there a little. Hope it helps. Let me know your results.

OAL 2.325?? really? According to the Speer book I have here, a typical OAL is 2.625 and that's with everything from 70 to 100 grain bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.