.243 AI Bullet Recomendation

Greg Duerr

I will be bear hunting this fall for the first time and my one and only rifle is a .243 AI.

It has a 1x9 twist 24inch barrel...................I have always used it for Varmints

I need a recomendation for a good bullet for black Bear.....................

G

Barnes 85grain TSX, will perform as a heavier bullet, will punch thru the shoulder given reasonable distance 200 yards or less, accurate, you wont flinch with a 243 so you can put it where it needs to be.
once you hit him, keep fireing, they can soak up a lot of lead and poor blood trails due to hair. Kepp shot distance reasonable, wait for broadside and you will be fine.:D

Get yourself some of the new 90gr. Deep Curls from Speer. They are supposed to have 90% weight retention and are a hell of a lot cheaper than the Barnes. And best of all, they have lead in them, I like Barnes, but hate the fact that some beurocrats tell me that I can't shoot lead, because it may kill a stupid bird!

Deep curl would be great choice for most anything but on bear with hair soaking up blood I want best chance for 2 holes

I agree with the need for two holes. For that I would go with the a 95 or 100 grain Nosler Partition. Research info on bullet placement for bears. The anatomy is different than other big game animals. Wait for a good shot with the front leg on the impact side forward and try to avoid the shoulder blade.
Here is a decent link:
http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/dundee%20pic/bearshotplacement.pdf

I agree that the nosler partition is a great bullet and agree that with a 243 shooting behind the close leg rather than thru the should as typical for a breakdown shot is advised, but as good as the partition is, its still a 243 with a 6mm bullet and the barnes will perform better than a 243 should.

Black bears have alot of fat layers! I would buy another rifle that can do the job with 1 shot 30 30, 44mag,270,3006 or the 308.

I have a 30-06, what should I load for big northern brown bears - 180gr barnes - 200gr. barnes. Will they down the big fella??

Yep, 200-300 yards, should do the trick, Fred Eichler shot his in Alsaska with a savage 3006 and had no issues at all.

Thanks a mill,
Mine is a savage also. Looking at QuickLoad the 180 TSX @ 300yds is about 2200 fps with 1950 ft lbs and the 200 TTSX is about 2125 fps & 2000 ft lbs. either should have enough penetration to get the job done, all be it they are very big bears and the bullet needs to go in an awfully long way. I read, some saying you need a 300 or a 375 H&H or ???
Whats your thinking on that lot.

Bronco, That is a great diagram of the bears anatomy. I think most hunters try to target them like Deer and shoot them high, which makes for one wounded bear. Happy hunting and thanks for the reminder on where to place the shot. Rick in AZ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.