240 Sierra Match King

Interesting posts... thanks to everyone who contributed on this. I'll add my $.02 here...

I was out shooting both the 210 Berger and the 240 SMK yesterday at 600 yards (also shot the 208 A-Max). Out of a stock Remington 700 Sendero II, I shoot the Bergers at 3150 with Retumbo, and the 240s at 2950 with US869... so velocities that are right in-line with the numbers stated in previous posts. Both of these loads have been fired multiple times... and I've yet to lose any brass to loose primer pockets.

Out of my rifle... the Bergers shoot better than any other bullet... yesterday they shot 5" for 5 shots at 600. The big SMKs shot just under 10"... but I admit I haven't spent much time messing with this load... and the OAL is 3.625" so they fit in the magazine (I load the Bergers into the lands). I'm sure with a little tinkering I could reduce the groups a bit.

I know the energy numbers are about equal between the two... but the 240s hit the 18" x 18" steel plate WAY harder than the 210s... WAY harder. Energy is one thing... but when it comes down to moving stuff... momentum is where it's at. The 240 also had substantially more recoil... even with the excellent DE break... I guess there truly is no free lunch when it comes to ballistics.

For deer, coyotes, black bears, etc.... I'll take the Berger. I know if elk were on the menu though... the 240 would be my Huckleberry.

Again, thanks for all the excellent information from all participants... nice to know my data fits right in.

yote bomer,

Might try those 240's on the lands. My rifle seems to like them just touching. If I go into the land I get more erratic velocities and back from the lands, my accuracy seems to suffer a bit. But I'm dealing with a stock barrel too, so take that for what it is. I've got 900 high pressure rounds through this tube and it's still holding .5moa or better chasing the lands. But, I tell you, the least 250 rounds or so have been with US869 and my 'sinclair measuring tools have told me that I haven't had to set out the bullet anymore to touch the lands than when I first started using US869. With stick powders, I would change ogive to casehead lenth a couple of times during shooting season. This is my third season on US869 and that number remains the same--hard to believe.

I have not used the 240 gr SMK alot on game but have tested it extensively for long range accuracy in my 300 Allen Xpress. As far as easy to get 30 cal bullets, its the highest BC bullet out there that is an expanding bullet.

That said, its a heavy bullet. Much heavier then it really needs to be for the BC you get out of it. You could easily get this same BC with a 220 gr bullet if designed properly but the industry is laging a bit on the 30 cal bullets for high BC, I mean those with +.7 BC.

Anyway, I have tested it in my 300 AX in two different rifles, both 1-8 twist which is more then needed in many cases but they did prove to hold up to the RPM levels produced by my rifles which are very high.

In a 31" Lawton 1-8 barrel, they could be driven to 3200 fps easily using H-US869. And when I say easily, I mean a faint ejector mark was the only sign of pressure and primer pockets lasted as long as you wanted to shoot the cases.

My current rifle, wearing a Lilja 30" 1-8 barrel will also get 3200 fps but shows a bit more pressure sign with that level of load so I have topped that rifle out at 3175 fps for a max working load with the 240 gr SMK.

This spring I went on an exotic big game hunt down in Oklahoma and Texas and used the 300 AX with the 240 gr SMK to take three head of game. This was a pretty good test.

It was hot down there so I toned her down a bit and used Retumbo for powder because its more stable in a wider range of temps. THe load produced 3130 fps which was extremely comfortable. For those that like energy numbers, thats over 5200 ft/lbs of muzzle energy from a very mild load pressure wise.

First test was on a big corsican ram at 655 yards. THe shot was a bit far back, impacting at the back of the lungs and a bit high, in the middle of the top third of the back. This can be a bad area to hit a big game animal if your bullet does not expand well which was one of my concerns using this bullet.

The ram ran 25 yards and fell over dead!!!

Second test, a big bodied texas dall ram at 820 yards. This was getting out there where it would test the bullets expansion ability with lower velocity. The shot was a difficult one, severe angling away from us. The bullet impacted just ahead of the right ham and exited just off center to the right on the rams neck, penetrating a good 25" at least. The exit wound was roughly 2" across so there was obviously good expansion still.

The third test was certainly not long range, around 120 yards is all on a big axis buck. Full penetration even at this close range was not a problem, there was a huge exit wound however but with this much power at this close range in a relatively thin skinned critter, that is to be expected.

After that hunt, I took some potential customers out to do some long range shooting. They all shot the 300 AX that I took down south. Those that shot it at the 720 yard gong easily rang steel consistantly. Several shot at a water filled milk jug at 940 yards but we thought no one hit it but dirt flew so close to the jug for each shot it was hard to complain as all three shots would have easily killed even a yote size critter.

When we went to pick up the targets however, the jug was nearly empty of water and there were three bullet holes in the jug, 30 cal in and 30 cal out......

Had I not witnessed what I did on Oklahoma and Texas, I probably would not have used this bullet on big game but I know they expand well on game and they shoot great as well. They are just overly heavy for what you get in BC.

Hopefully someone gets this figured out and gets us a lighter weight bullet with a high BC that will consistantly expand on big game and not cost $1.50 to $2.00 each so we can go out and practice a bit without breaking the bank.

Yote bomber, nice input!

jmden, as you know, I'm still using them little bitty bullets or what ever you call them. :) You almost got me convinced to trying them 240's.

Kirby, when I read your post, I thought of my recently born grand son; he is such a long legged boy, the poor kid might just grow tall enough to talk to you without looking up! LOL That'd be the first Moncada to ever do that!
Good post!!! We all appreciate it. The BC you input into Exbal, how close is it to the BC the manufacturer claims?

Eaglet,

Congrats on the new addition!!!!

I use the standard 0.710 in my NF exbal program and have never had a problem with accurate drop predictions.

You will have to ask Bill Bailey how close the rifle shoots from a cold barrel out to around 830 yards!!! He had witnessed her in action!!!

I shoot 210's out of my 300 WBY at 3000 fps, very good accuracy. I am getting my 30-378 together, planning on 210's and 240's. Barrel length will be 32-33 inches (needs rechambered from last gunsmith screw up)

How does the 240 perform on game ?

pretty deadly on most animals. Some like heavier calibers on elk (338 calibers specifically) but the 240 will work fine particularly with good placement. With a 32 inch barrel that rifle will add 200 fps (minimum) to velocity and definitely will kick *** :). Going to be a pretty heavy rifle I surmise?

pretty deadly on most animals. Some like heavier calibers on elk (338 calibers specifically) but the 240 will work fine particularly with good placement. With a 32 inch barrel that rifle will add 200 fps (minimum) to velocity and definitely will kick *** :). Going to be a pretty heavy rifle I surmise?

Probably 20ish pounds

not bad. I weas thinking more like 25-30 pounds. Actually I assume you have a stainless barrel and that sucker will probably shoot superbly. Weight will diminish recoil and make shooting more accurate if it is balanced and bedding properly. Let me know how it does shoot because I have been thinking of having such a rifle built. Actually will not cost that much since I have the action already. Barrel will be about 250 and having it chambered and all probably another 250 or so.

not bad. I weas thinking more like 25-30 pounds. Actually I assume you have a stainless barrel and that sucker will probably shoot superbly. Weight will diminish recoil and make shooting more accurate if it is balanced and bedding properly. Let me know how it does shoot because I have been thinking of having such a rifle built. Actually will not cost that much since I have the action already. Barrel will be about 250 and having it chambered and all probably another 250 or so.

When I get it shooting there will be lots of posts about it.

BTW, just to test a bit, I shot a meplat trimmed 240 through a 12" log that was fairly dry from about 15 feet. Complete penetration. Didn't go through a 15" log. At 1018 yds, I've had 'em go 6" dry log that was right next to the rock target (ahem) I was shooting at. Just my experience.

BTW, just to test a bit, I shot a meplat trimmed 240 through a 12" log that was fairly dry from about 15 feet. Complete penetration. Didn't go through a 15" log. At 1018 yds, I've had 'em go 6" dry log that was right next to the rock target (ahem) I was shooting at. Just my experience.

I am impressed, Nothing like getting data like that. I approve wholeheartedly.

Just a bit more 240 SMK info to add. I shot a spike bull this year at 70-80 yards. I was on the edge of a cliff probably 40-50 feet higher and he was almost facing me when he stopped for a second. A quick shot in the trees, so had to take what I had. Bullet took out the near shoulder, breaking the scapula part that encapsulates shoulder ball then traveled on down to the chest breaking 3 ribs as it entered the chest cavity and made a mess of the chest. I didn't recover the bullet and was so busy dressing him to try to beat the oncoming darkness, I didn't look for it. I didn't notice any evidence that it exited and I didn't paw through the chest remains for it. I figure it hit him doing about 2900fps. He went about 20 feet and fell over. Surprised he got that far actually. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts