.224 weatherby necked to 6mm ?

HarryN

Hi, I am a fan of belted rounds and was looking for something in the 22 - 25 caliber range x about .308 Win length or shorter, possibly for use in a single shot pistol.

The only belted magnum I found which was close was a .224 weatherby. It has quite high MV, but the BC of all of the .224 bullets I found were sort of mediocre - very little above .3 even from GS Custom or CEB and most are close to .2. This low BC sort of wastes all of that great MV.

At 6mm / 243, the BC offerings start to rise significantly, which made me wonder if anyone has played with necking up this round to 6mm or so ?

I am thinking in terms of 200 - 300 yard range for this.

The only other thing I could think of was to chop down a 300 win mag or 375 H&H to .308 length (or shorter) and then form the neck.

It is not as fast as the .223 WSSM, but with the low BC of the bullets, maybe it doesn't really matter.

Hi, I am a fan of belted rounds and was looking for something in the 22 - 25 caliber range x about .308 Win length or shorter, possibly for use in a single shot pistol.

The only belted magnum I found which was close was a .224 weatherby. It has quite high MV, but the BC of all of the .224 bullets I found were sort of mediocre - very little above .3 even from GS Custom or CEB and most are close to .2. This low BC sort of wastes all of that great MV.

At 6mm / 243, the BC offerings start to rise significantly, which made me wonder if anyone has played with necking up this round to 6mm or so ?

I am thinking in terms of 200 - 300 yard range for this.

The only other thing I could think of was to chop down a 300 win mag or 375 H&H to .308 length (or shorter) and then form the neck.

It is not as fast as the .223 WSSM, but with the low BC of the bullets, maybe it doesn't really matter.

seems to me that this round is listed in Ackley's book. I would personally rather go with a 6XC or the 6mm/250AI
gary

While there are lots of chamberings that match the performance none are belted except wildcats. All the magnums are far more overbore than what you describe. Gee, even a 243 Win is more overbore.

I made a quick model in QuickDesign and QuickLoad.

~30 grains of powder should propel a 95grns Sierra Matchking at an easy 2850fps. The efficiency seems very good.

IMHO: Nice.

I am not a fan of belted cases but since you are, if you want an inexpensive to load belted wildcat, go for it..

Thanks for the great suggestions. I really had no idea that there were so many cartridge variations in the 6 - 7mm range as I am finding now. Now I have a lot more reading to do.

We really do walk in the foot steps of giants.

It looks like I need to figure out how to use quickload so I can do some modeling. What would be really nice, is if I can figure out a load that can use 50bmg powder, because that stuff is available everywhere.

The 6.5 Remington magnum looks particularly interesting. I am not entirely sure that I could safely hang onto it if run through a single shot pistol though.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I really had no idea that there were so many cartridge variations in the 6 - 7mm range as I am finding now. Now I have a lot more reading to do.

We really do walk in the foot steps of giants.

It looks like I need to figure out how to use quickload so I can do some modeling. What would be really nice, is if I can figure out a load that can use 50bmg powder, because that stuff is available everywhere.

The 6.5 Remington magnum looks particularly interesting. I am not entirely sure that I could safely hang onto it if run through a single shot pistol though.
Put a brake on it and have at it. My Pops has a striker in 300wsm that is plenty controllable with a savage brake on it. I'm not sure about a short eye relief scope though as he has a 4x pistol scope on it.
One other thing to consider is the more overbore you are, the longer barrel you should have to actually make use of the powder capacity available to you for your given bore diameter. My striker in 22-250 and my Pop's 300 wsm's are good, but much more overbore and you'd want at bit more than a 14" barrel to get the powder burned well and the muzzle blast/flash down.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.