.223 wssm ???

trap

I just bought a winchester model 70 in .223 wssm. I was wondering how this compares to the .223 rem. I know it must be a lot faster just wondering what to expect. Also what kind of scope should I be looking to get for it. I wanted the gun for predetor hunting and maybe deer in WI. Not sure if it is good enough for deer though. What are the best bullets to get?
Thanks, trap

Trap

The 223 WSSM is a lot faster (WSSM 55gr @ 3850ft/sec,223 rem 55gr @3240)

Barnes and berger make 70 to 77gr bullets that should work for deer size game.
but they will require a 1 in 11 twist or faster to be accurate.

You should be able to get 3200 to 3400ft/sec from these bullets.

They appear to be very accurate ,but barrel life is expected to be very short.

I am building one for the 38gr and 40gr bullet that should reach 4500ft/sec and
will report findings when complete.

J E CUSTOM

Yep...there is no comparison between the 223 WSM and the 223 Remington.

The 223 WSM is better compared to the 224 Weatherby...I recommend the Barnes TSX bullets for deer. I'm not sure what twist they use in the 223 WSM, but the TSX's come in 53, 62, and 70 grain versions for that caliber...I'm betting you will need the 53 to stabilize, its probably a slower (around 1 in 12") twist...but thats strictly a guess. If it turns out to be 1 in 10" or so the 62 grain bullet would probably stabilize at that high velocity...at least for 300 yards or so.

It is leagal for deer, the law was changed a few years ago. I'll stick with my 7mm mag for deer. It has a 22 in barrel but I don't know the twist. How do I find that out since they don't make guns anymore.

It is leagal for deer, the law was changed a few years ago. I'll stick with my 7mm mag for deer. It has a 22 in barrel but I don't know the twist. How do I find that out since they don't make guns anymore.

Trap.

Use a real tight patch on your cleaning jag and run it most of the way in,

Then take a marker and mark a spot on the cleaning rod at the top against
the back of the recever.

Slowly pull the rod out(Allowing the rod to rotate) until the mark comes to
the top the first time and stop.

Measure from the mark to the back of the recever. if it's close to 10'' then its
a 1 in 10 or 12'' =1 in 12 twist.

This method will be within 1/4 of a inch.

J E CUSTOM

I came up with a 1 in 11in. twist. I measured it 20 or so times. Could this be right? Do other model 70 win. have the same barrel twist?

I have the same gun and according to winchester its 1:12

You probaly know that by now though!! Darn things hard to hold still!!

I am looking to purchase >223 wssm ammo. Either 55gr, 64gr or 70gr.
If anyone has some for sale or knows where I can find it please let me know
Thanks

the factory 223 wssm tubes were supposed to be 1 in 10 twist

I have killed a couple of whitetails with 68 gr Hornaday match bullets @ 3700....have also used 60 gr Nosler BT-------------but those were in open fields where you can pick your shots

the ugly little cartridge will run 75 gr A-max to 3500 fps pretty easily , but they won't stabilize in a factory barrel

Winchester really blew it with the tweener 1 in 10 twist

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.