90 SMK and .223 WSSM

malcarjeb

I know this isn't long range for a lot of you but with a .223 its pretty good. I have been testing the 90 SMK for awhile now and it has shot extremely well out to 300 yards. I have also shot phone books and the SMK have penetrated
very well. Now after all this I decided to try them on some whitetail and tonight I got a chance.

I had a few doe and a small buck all about 100 yards away, but I waited on a longer shot. Finally 2 doe came out at 300 yards. One was big doe and the other was med. I shot the big one first at about 250 yards right in the shoulder. It jumped up about 3 feet and cut flips to the edge of the field about 30 yards and fell dead. The other doe ran back to the the woods at 300 yards and stopped. I put another SMK in the chamber and fired right at the shoulder and it cut a flip and fell about 20 yards from point of impact.

Both deer were hit in the shoulders and the bullets penetrated out the off side shoulders with a quarter size exit hole on both! The 90 SMK performance
was outstanding.

I have shot a good many deer with the .223 wssm and 53 gr. TSX but I might have found a better long range bullet in the 90 SMK!

The SMK is leaving the barrel at 3050 and the 53 TSX are at 4200.

What Twist

Hi what twist are you using I had a 6.8twist in 223 it was awsome but rechambered to 22-250AI It blew them up I suspect a 8.5-8 would be better.

Cheers Bill
Australia

The barrel is a Hart 26" with an 8 twist. I was suprised that it stabilized the 90 SMK so well. I would like to try the berger 90 but not sure if they will work.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.