6.5 wssm

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Foster_65, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Foster_65

Foster_65 Well-Known Member

i have been tossing around the idea of building a 6.5 wssm. i am kinda in love wit the 6.5 mms and i have a wsm action just sitting around i would like to do something with. i have bigger guns (7 wsm) and would like something with a bit less recoil that will fit in a short action and the wsm bolt face. any suggestions would be great. i was thinking of the 130 bergers somewhere around 2900. is this possible. does anyone have anything like this and if so, what can you tell me about it. pros and cons. or any other suggestions on what to do with this action.
    thanks guys

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I remember a post by Kirby about a 6.5wsm he built for his father but I have not read anything in the last 3 years about a 6.5wssm.

3. long450

long450 Well-Known Member

4. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

If I were making the call, I would opt for a 6.5 WSM over a 6.5 WSSM. The 7mm (or 277) WSM will have a larger case capacity. Additionally, the WSSM brass has been criticized for inconsistent accuracy related to thick necks. Just about every rifle maker that ever produced a WSSM rifle has discontinued their line making future availability of brass a distant second to the WSM brass. Just my two cents.