223 WSSM

JSHKS

Is there any honest gain over other options?

I got ate up with the small bores a few years ago. This cartridge peaked my interest when it first came out. Buddy and I have talked for a long time about a 22TTH, the WSSM came up in conversation a while back.

223WSSM brass was hard to come by just a few short years ago. Now I see it on a regular basis at various places. Talked to a couple of guys a year ago that were hard core into the caliber. Barrel life can be short with full throttle loads, not near what some would have us believe. They claimed 1500-2000 rounds with sensible use.

What are the velocities with what bullet? That's why I like my little 204 Rugers. 4000 fps with 32-35 grain pills.

60 grain Vmax around 37-3800.
Thinking more in the ways of still a lot of splat and launch factor 300 and beyond.
My 22-250 load it likes doesn't get much of that past 350. Probably wouldn't see but 50 rounds a day on a dog town, then slow with one shooter and a couple of spotters.

I have a 204. I run the 32's till the wind picks up, then go to 40's.

6mm would be the way to go, but have a pile of .224. Though I may be short on what would stand the speed and RPM's.

Lol, it may be a long winter.

JSH -

Howdy!

After several .22-250s including full customs, I was left wanting a higher level of performance when shooting 55gr varmint bullets on groundhog.....out to 500yd.

I made my own wildcat..... .35 Remington brass necked-down to .224" cal. Case capacity between that of a stock .22-250 and a .22-250AI. Favorite varmint/target load was 41.2gr WW760 and FED Large Magnum Rifle March under Hornady 55SX; and was loafing @ 3,690fps. 510yd groundhog was made using prototype Hornady 55"V-Max" over 41.6gr VV 160 and Fed Magnum Rifle Match; all the above shot from 24" Hart
SS 1-14 5-groove. *** The barrel lasted 3,4200+ rnd before ever keyholing its first bullet. *** I attribute the fore-shortening of the barrel's life to my dumb decision to have it cryo'd when it was already well past half of its ultimate life.
Chunks came out of the leade.

I re-barrelled by chambering .22-35 in a 28" K&P SS 1-8, making the rifle truly capable of 1,000yd use on either varmint or target. I shot 75"A-Max" exclusively, over 40.5gr AA3100 and FED LR Match for 3,420 FPS. Primer change made to load to FED Large Magnum Rifle Match yielded 3,500fps; w/ a slight
opening up of the groups.

The nominal 52gr H2O capacity of the .223WSSM can be approached by a fore-shortened wildcat version of the
.224 TTH. The chamber would be cut by running a .224TTh reamer in short, for a nominal .466" base diam.
7x64 Brenneke is used as the wildcat's parent brass.
This case is .308 bolt face compatible rimless, and great brass can be had from Norma and RWS

The larger capacity .224's would de best applied when use of the heavier/ heaviest .224" cal bullets is desired.

The .224" cal wildcat version of a fore- shortened .224TTH case can be formed using a stock 6.5x55 Swedish FL die
( LEE) w/ its internals removed.... as the case forming die.

A "perch" is made using a .308 shelholder, a 1/4-20 flat- head machine screw w/ head diam< .466"; and a 1/4-20 lock nut.

The perch is placed on the press' arbor, and handle,operated to advance case up into the forming die. As shoulder is shoved downward, excess brass extrudes out top of the open-topped die.

Cases are rough cut-off for length, then detail trimmed to final case aol. Cases are outside neck turned to final neck wall thickness desired.

This wildcat has a longer than one calibre neck, which would readily accept VLDs

With regards,
357Mag

JSH -

Howdy, again! And....Merry Christmas to you & yours!

My wildcat .22-35 Remington has the same 1.920" case oal that the 'Creedmoor operates with, although the .22-35 pre-dates the Creedmoor by 3+ decades. .22-35 also has similar case capacity.

The fore-shortened .224TTH wildcat using that reamer run-in short also has similar case capacity to a notional Creedmoor.

Case capacity comparisons using H2O can be a bit misleading, as capacity is typically measured w/ case filled to the case' mouth.
In reality.... case' necks are often occupied fully by the seated bullet; especially in medium capacity cartridges utilizing heavier VLD bullets. So.... comparing useable powder space to base of neck can perhaps give a more realistic comparison.

The .224TTH - based wildcat is a tad longer in case oal than a .243 Win. That's no biggy for someone shooting a single shot bolt action varmint rifle, but .....might be unattractive for a competitive shooter using a magazine-fed rifle.

I shoot a 6mm wildcat I call " DEEP 6", which has a chamber cut by running a 6mm Remington reamer in short; for a .466" base diam.

This method of wildcatting has allowed me to develope wildcats w/ useful case capacity, w/o having to $$$ custom case forming and reloading dies.... and w/o having to $$$ custom, reamers !

DEEP 6 case capacity is 51.2gr H2O.....owing to that long
VLD-friendly neck.

With regards,
357Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.