Which .223?

An old guy in my skeet club offered to sell me his used [only 12 shots fired through it] Tikka T3 varmint 8" twist. It had a big crappy BSA scope,cheap rings, Harris bipod and 788 round of factory ammo. $600 all in. How could I refuse?

First 3 shots were .75" I frustrated myself for awhile trying to move POI with that BSA scope and gave up. I installed an Elite 3200 on Leupold rings that I had and then shot several sub .25" groups with factory Hornady Varmint Extreme 55 gr Vmax. 1.5" at 300 off a bipod same ammo.

What a gun! I can't wait to see what she'll do with handloads.

I have never owned a centerfire under 25 cal and am hooked. Lots of cheap trigger time without punishment.

I'm sure this will not be the last Tikka I own.

My buddy is in the market for an accurate factory .223 that he will mainly use for P-dogs. He has a wide variety of glass that is available to him, so that's not part of the equasion. His budget for the rifle is right around $1,000, but he might entertain adding another couple of hunderd if the money will be well spent. The only downside that I can see is that he doesn't handload. But, on the other hand, if he sees a big difference in what I can load for his gun and what he buys from the store, he would spend the time at my place rolling his own - that's what he does for his .300 Win Mag.

So with those parameters, what guns should he look at?
I HAVE A22-250 IN ONE OF THE NEW SAVAGE PREDATOR MODEL. HAND LOAD FOR IT AND IT IS VERY ACCURITE. THEY MAKE THIS RIFLE IN A223 WHICH HE IS GOING TO SHOOT P- DOGS ALL DAY LON G YOU ARE GOING TO WANT SOMETHING WITH THE HEAVY BARREL. I HAVE AN AR-15 WITH A SHORT BARREL WHICH HEATS UP PRETTY FAST ITS ACCURITE BUT YOU CANT KEEP FIREING BACK TO BACK. THIS PREDATOR MODEL IS PRETTY ACCURITE WITH RELOADSgun).

I HAVE A22-250 IN ONE OF THE NEW SAVAGE PREDATOR MODEL. HAND LOAD FOR IT AND IT IS VERY ACCURITE. THEY MAKE THIS RIFLE IN A223 WHICH HE IS GOING TO SHOOT P- DOGS ALL DAY LON G YOU ARE GOING TO WANT SOMETHING WITH THE HEAVY BARREL. I HAVE AN AR-15 WITH A SHORT BARREL WHICH HEATS UP PRETTY FAST ITS ACCURITE BUT YOU CANT KEEP FIREING BACK TO BACK. THIS PREDATOR MODEL IS PRETTY ACCURITE WITH RELOADS THE OTHER MEET THING ABOUT THIS RIFLE IS YOU CAN SET YOUR OWN TRIGGER.

I HAVE A22-250 IN ONE OF THE NEW SAVAGE PREDATOR MODEL. HAND LOAD FOR IT AND IT IS VERY ACCURITE. THEY MAKE THIS RIFLE IN A223 WHICH HE IS GOING TO SHOOT P- DOGS ALL DAY LON G YOU ARE GOING TO WANT SOMETHING WITH THE HEAVY BARREL. I HAVE AN AR-15 WITH A SHORT BARREL WHICH HEATS UP PRETTY FAST ITS ACCURITE BUT YOU CANT KEEP FIREING BACK TO BACK. THIS PREDATOR MODEL IS PRETTY ACCURITE WITH RELOADS THE OTHER MEET THING ABOUT THIS RIFLE IS YOU CAN SET YOUR OWN TRIGGER.
THERE IS ALOT OF DIFFERNT BULLET OPPTIONS FOR 223.

It was mentioned here in an earlier post also but if I was gonna buy another factory gun that WAS NOT gonna get customized later I think it would be a CZ. I hear allot of good things about them....There built on a mini mauser action, and for the price don't think they can be beat. Just my opinion though.

I would love to have a bushmaster or RRA but they are not legal to hunt with here in the great state of PA.....Sarcasm there if ya didn't detect that...:Dlol

He's seriously looking at the Savage now. He likes their dual port design from an ergonomics standpoint, but I don't know if it'll have any affect on the action stiffness.

November 6, 2008

5000+ FPS with 22BR Improved and 30gr Berger Bullets

Filed under: Bullets, Brass, Ammo, Hunting/Varminting — Tags: McDonald — Editor @ 12 pm
Forum member XmarksSpot has been shooting a wicked fast varmint cartridge that has broken the 5000-fps barrier using Berger 30gr varmint bullets. That's some serious velocity! XmarksSpot reports:
Some people think 5000+ fps is mythical. Well just thought I'd let you guys know that I got 5239 fps a couple weeks ago shooting 30-grainers with my 224 McDonald, a wildcat cartridge based on an improved 6BR case necked down to 224. (This case is very similar to a 22 Dasher.) The bullet used is the 30gr Berger. (The 40s run fast too — about 4800 fps.) The rig is a Rem 700 with a 30″ Hart barrel. Below is the case before and after forming. As you can see it has a 40° shoulder and far more case capacity than a 22 BR (a 22 Dasher case holds about 41.0 grains H20). My most accurate loads are with 50-52gr bullets, with bugholes the norm at 4200 fps. The 40gr bullets will do 4800+ fps.
22mac1.jpg

22mac3.jpg

This 224 McDonald wildcat was developed by Charles McDonald. He has been developing and chambering custom cartridges for years. If anyone is interested give him a call at (780) 325-2509, tell him XmarksSpot sent you.
Editor's Note: Many folks may not be aware of the little 30gr Berger varmint bullet, and some online vendors don't carry it yet. It is Berger stock # 224030M . It has an 0.121 BC and will work in 1:15″ or faster twist barrels. You'll find more info on BergerBullets.com in the "Hunting Bullets: Varmint" section.

Just another option to think about! On a Savage Target Action and the price of some quality barrels its very easy to swap barrels even in the field. Sure would make the red mist fly.
I spoke with Mr McDonald at length recently and he is shooting the 65 grain bullets at 4200fps!

Neal

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.