223 trophy bonded tip

Heather

Okay guys, have a friend who is looking for some 223 that will take down a doe at close range for his 8 year old son. He originally shot the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip however unless any of you guys have some to offer I can't find any anywhere. So I talked to him about reloads and he's very interested, but would prefer a ballistic tip and heavy bullets obviously to take down that doe. Any suggestions?

Trophy Bonded Bear Claws hold up well, all I have seen are 62 grain. The Gold Dot's are also a bonded bullet and will work fine. Sierra Gamekings in 55 grain HP have worked well in my loaner 223 rifle for a few youngsters also. 77 grain MatchKing loads also work very well from 18-22" barrels, might be the easiest to find after Gold Dots.

While jt might be as hard to find as trophy bonded tips, we loaded 223 and 60 grain partitions for my niece when she little. Did pretty good on some does at bow ranges.

9EED697D-0070-46D9-82BF-B815B83DE77C.jpeg

Try googling "223 for bear, deer, elk, and moose"

Everything you ever wanted to know about hunting with the 223 is in there. 73&75 eldm, 77 tipped matchking, 62 gr fusion, 88 eldm all work well.

Bthp bullets don't work as well. Monos work the worst.

For young kids, I much prefer a solid. Almost guarantees an exit and that will make most trail jobs easier. Remember, most 8 year olds will be extremely nervous/ excited when trying to make the shot. Guts are a high likelihood.
I still get that way and I'm dang near half a hundred!

Okay guys, have a friend who is looking for some 223 that will take down a doe at close range for his 8 year old son. He originally shot the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip however unless any of you guys have some to offer I can't find any anywhere. So I talked to him about reloads and he's very interested, but would prefer a ballistic tip and heavy bullets obviously to take down that doe. Any suggestions?

For reloading suggestions, it would be helpful to know the twist rate of the barrel.

Depending on barrel twist, the Hammer 44 or 52 would be top choices. My son has put down a pile of Texas hogs and a deer with the 44 grain Hammer Hunter out of a 12 twist 223, with a 16.5" barrel. I've never used it, but the 70 grain Nosler Accubond would likely be a good choice if set on a heavier bullet. Truth is, these days there are a boat load of good bullets suitable for killing deer with a 223. There's no telling how many doe I've culled over the years with a 223 and a 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Never had any issue whatsoever.

Give the 70 grain Speers a try. Definitely not a long range bullet but inside 200 yds I have had good luck with them on hogs. They are accurate, cheap and typically easy to find. I have only shot one deer with them and it was a white patch shot from about 75 yds but I would not hesitate to attempt a more traditional shot on one.