What happened to the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw?

jawjatek

They have disappeared from the usual reloading purveyors, as well as the Speer catalog. I see something called the Trophy Bonded Tip advertised with some type of Federal ammo, but otherwise they fell off the planet. I realize these may not be considered in high regard for extreme ranges where a Berger might do, but I love 'em for tough hogs in thick cover.

I did just get a box of 180 GN Speer DeepCurl bullets and they look suspiciously like the TBBC - at less than half the price. Sounds too good to be true, huh? Have to cut one to see if it has the solid shank. I like the TBBC a lot because it kills hard but always has an exit hole, and does not seem to damage the meat as much as a Partition or a Game King.

Just up late wonderin' while some acraglass sets up and the ice melts in my Knob Creek. Opening day is Sat...

:cool:

Last edited:
The Marines recently adopted the TBBC bullet for use in Afghanistan, and I suppose all TBBC production is going to them at this time. Speer probably hopes the Army will pick up on the Marine Corps initiative as well. The Army has a much higher logistics demand than the Marine Corps, and will not adopt the bullet unless the production capacity is there and a huge performance gain warrants a change.

Don't know where the TBBC went. The Trophy Bonded Tip bullet is a TBBC with a yellow balistic tip.
Those Deep Curl's are basically a Fusion bullet. Hit like Thors hammer too! Killed a few critters with Fed Fusions outa my .270WSM a few yrs ago, including a Oregon Record Book Black Bear.
Now-a-days I roll my own, & have an obsession with Accubonds...:D

Good info guys, thanks for the replies. Guess I'll be hoarding the few I have left until they are available. I had heard some scuttlebutt about military/LE use and the fact they penetrate windshields very well...

They have disappeared from the usual reloading purveyors, as well as the Speer catalog. I see something called the Trophy Bonded Tip advertised with some type of Federal ammo, but otherwise they fell off the planet. I realize these may not be considered in high regard for extreme ranges where a Berger might do, but I love 'em for tough hogs in thick cover.

I did just get a box of 180 GN Speer DeepCurl bullets and they look suspiciously like the TBBC - at less than half the price. Sounds too good to be true, huh? Have to cut one to see if it has the solid shank. I like the TBBC a lot because it kills hard but always has an exit hole, and does not seem to damage the meat as much as a Partition or a Game King.

Just up late wonderin' while some acraglass sets up and the ice melts in my Knob Creek. Opening day is Sat...

:cool:

I phoned Speer. They said Federal (who owns them) ordered them to stop selling the bullets as reloading component. So they only make it for Federal loaded ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.