What happened to the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jawjatek, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jawjatek

jawjatek Member

They have disappeared from the usual reloading purveyors, as well as the Speer catalog. I see something called the Trophy Bonded Tip advertised with some type of Federal ammo, but otherwise they fell off the planet. I realize these may not be considered in high regard for extreme ranges where a Berger might do, but I love 'em for tough hogs in thick cover.

I did just get a box of 180 GN Speer DeepCurl bullets and they look suspiciously like the TBBC - at less than half the price. Sounds too good to be true, huh? Have to cut one to see if it has the solid shank. I like the TBBC a lot because it kills hard but always has an exit hole, and does not seem to damage the meat as much as a Partition or a Game King.

Just up late wonderin' while some acraglass sets up and the ice melts in my Knob Creek. Opening day is Sat...

:cool:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. FAL Shot

FAL Shot Well-Known Member

The Marines recently adopted the TBBC bullet for use in Afghanistan, and I suppose all TBBC production is going to them at this time. Speer probably hopes the Army will pick up on the Marine Corps initiative as well. The Army has a much higher logistics demand than the Marine Corps, and will not adopt the bullet unless the production capacity is there and a huge performance gain warrants a change.

3. newmexkid

newmexkid Well-Known Member

While I lived in Wyoming, (16 years) I used the TB bullet. The elk HATED it.

4. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Don't know where the TBBC went. The Trophy Bonded Tip bullet is a TBBC with a yellow balistic tip.
    Those Deep Curl's are basically a Fusion bullet. Hit like Thors hammer too! Killed a few critters with Fed Fusions outa my .270WSM a few yrs ago, including a Oregon Record Book Black Bear.
    Now-a-days I roll my own, & have an obsession with Accubonds...:D

5. meatyrem

meatyrem Well-Known Member

Yup, what iv'e seen is they through a tip on it and boatailed the base. other than I can't say where to get them.

6. jawjatek

jawjatek Member

Good info guys, thanks for the replies. Guess I'll be hoarding the few I have left until they are available. I had heard some scuttlebutt about military/LE use and the fact they penetrate windshields very well...

7. Warbird2006

Warbird2006 Well-Known Member

I phoned Speer. They said Federal (who owns them) ordered them to stop selling the bullets as reloading component. So they only make it for Federal loaded ammo.