223 rem rebarreling, what cal would you do?

Just shooting for fun. out to 400 yds. And a few Chuck's, yotes, and deer.

I would look at a 6mm BR. You would have to buy a new bolt but that is an exceptional caliber. Don't think I would use it for a deer rifle but for everything else it is dead on. Great BC's on the 105 grain 6 millimeter bullets.

Anyone have typical oal lengths for a 6mm/223. I have a cz 527 in 223 that needs 2" cut off the barrel or im thinking of rebarreling. The 6mm/223 sounds like a good option if the oal are not too long for the magazine

Still liking the 223ai with the heavier bullets, or the 6mm way. I don't like heart and lung shots on deer with the 223 pretty small blood trail. More like none. Like shooting them with a pencil that stays in side.

OAL by the book is the same as for SAAMI .223's. 6-223 is pretty good on smaller bodied deer. 80-85 grain pills work just fine. As with anything bullet placement matters but with something like a 80gr barnes TTSX there should be no trouble getting an exit on a broadside against something like a california blacktail. Anything stouter, I dunno. Probably have to come up in overall power to be sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.