223 build...What bullet??

I have been reading reviews on the 77 SMK and 80 VLD, and they both sound like they would work. I am also really interested in the 75 ELDM. I am hoping it is the old 75AMAX with the new tip. They are also really cheap for a match bullet, which makes it easier to throw at varmints haha

This is the question which ought to get everyone riled up enough to call Hornady and demand re-issuing the AMAX bullets in 75 gr. and 80gr. Either of these two bullets work in this type of dual use. Their replacement bullets and the commensurate garbage descriptions should be recalled. :mad:

Dual use rifles such as you desire rarely fulfill both functions 100% because there's always a compromise of some sort especially when one use involves soft skin vermin and the other is accurate long range.

I shoot the Sierra 77 gr. TMK pushed hard. It does pretty good for long range as long as your range finding is accurate and wind doesn't get too high.:(

My best solution for long range (PRS) is the 95 grain Sierra in a barrel with the right twist just for that bullet and light it up!:eek::D Guaranteed to put a smile on your face!;)
I have a few hundred AMAX's left. Wish I had a few thousand.

If I want to shoot past 300 yards, I have 7mm-300 win mag.

My reference was not to what you have to shoot but responding to the request made by the original poster with regard to being able to shoot both prairie dogs AND shoot long range targets including PRS matches with the one rifle.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.