223 build...What bullet??

hwy1strat

I am about to start building a 223 trainer rifle. I am trying to figure out what bullet to shoot out of it so I can get the right twist barrel. This will be for long range target practice off barricades and probably will shoot it in some of the smaller PRS matches. That being said, I also want to shoot prairie dogs with it and kill them quickly. In your opinion what is a good double duty bullet? I have been looking at the 69gr SMK but there seems to be mixed reviews on using them on varmints. Does anyone have any experience with the different 223 match bullets on prairie dogs? What would you recommend?

68gr Hornadys seem to have a really thin jacket. Easy to deform them just seating if not careful. They seem to shoot really great in 8tw barrels. I would sure give them a shot. Never shot one at flesh though. However, I've always thought soft points were better killers. Not what you want to hear if you want a dual purpose match bullet.

I personally like the v max bullets for all my varmint hunting. I use a 40gr vmax at 3500 out of my AR in 5.56 for everything from sage rats to coyotes. I know that's not a long range bullet but the heavier v max bullets might work. I like them on p dogs because they explode and on coyotes they go in but don't go out saving the fur.

This is the question which ought to get everyone riled up enough to call Hornady and demand re-issuing the AMAX bullets in 75 gr. and 80gr. Either of these two bullets work in this type of dual use. Their replacement bullets and the commensurate garbage descriptions should be recalled. :mad:

Dual use rifles such as you desire rarely fulfill both functions 100% because there's always a compromise of some sort especially when one use involves soft skin vermin and the other is accurate long range.

I shoot the Sierra 77 gr. TMK pushed hard. It does pretty good for long range as long as your range finding is accurate and wind doesn't get too high.:(

My best solution for long range (PRS) is the 95 grain Sierra in a barrel with the right twist just for that bullet and light it up!:eek::D Guaranteed to put a smile on your face!;)

We have shot everything from ground squirrels, tree squirrels, tons of cottontails/jackrabbits, tons of yotes, javalina, and mule deer does with the 69SMK in my AR @ 3033fps. Everything we have shot hated them....to death.

I have a 1/10 twist and settled on the new Sierra 60gr TMK and it sure does shoot well. Out to 650yds or so it worked better for me than the 69gr SMK as I can run it 100fps faster.

The 95tmk for all ur purposes.

Is this new? All I see are the 77 gr. and lighter. There's a Match King just not tipped.

Anything longer than that 60 gr. TMK will require a faster twist rate. Ou of the 3 - TMK bullets the 77 gr. still outperforms all of them at the distances required (1,000 yds) to shoot PRS. But the faster twist is necessary.

Is this new? All I see are the 77 gr. and lighter. There's a Match King just not tipped.

Anything longer than that 60 gr. TMK will require a faster twist rate. Ou of the 3 - TMK bullets the 77 gr. still outperforms all of them at the distances required (1,000 yds) to shoot PRS. But the faster twist is necessary.
Typo 'smk' Is what I meant. Had some varminters at my place this spring, that's all they used to blow apart gophers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.