223 ammo shortage ?

I like the 223 round and have used it since the early 70's when all that was offered was the 55 grain rounds . I have a few thousand rounds of brass for it . The brass by it's self won't do any good with out the other components it takes to make it a viable round . You can put several thousand rounds in an air tight military surplus 50 cal. ammo can . Kept dry and in an even temp. area , military surplus 5.56 ammo is made to be stored for periods of time as was the 7.62 nato round . They may not be your first choice for a hunting round but shot placement is a big factor with them . they have a sealant around the primer and bullet that helps keep them from absorbing moisture as well as off gassing from the powder so it doesn't break down as fast . As with your food stuff you want to rotate through your ammo supply so I find that marking it with a date helps there use the older lot first and replace it as you use it . So then in times of short supply you will have some and you don't really need to hoard a ton of it unless you are just going out and blowing through hundreds of rounds in a day . In that case you aren't going to survive long any way if the S h t f .

well there is a small pallet that arrived from idaho it showed up on my drive way monday no need for green tip 62 gr here oh and a bit of 55 otm order a lot and order during a production run for the best deals now to put it all away for those rainy days

Also any and every SCARY BLACK GUN, my Brand new 50 cal that I always wanted and finally bought 10 days before the sneak attack by the government was launched , my Beretta 9mm CX storm....which was already registered as restricted as are all previously registered restricted AR platforms....which means RANGE USE ONLY , my Custom made LEFT HANDED .460 WEATHERBY that I have owned and hunted with for 40 years....oooh it's too powerful for a civilian to own....tell that to the Dangerous 5. I used to be proud to be Canadian. 1 year till retirement and I have to find a new country to call home!
come on down to So Dakota

I went to town today. One of the guns shops still have some. Price hasn't went up on ammo. But varget powder was 36.00 a pd. H4895 was 31.00 a pd. Federal large rifle and mag primers was 38.00 a 1000. I almost bought a box of large primers just to put back.

I just looked at a 1# can of Green Dot that I have had for a while. Price tag says I paid $4.99 for it.....LOL
That's not a 1# Can ....it must be #1 Can! ( as in....first ever made) . Did it happen to come in a red pottery container with a Dragon on it and stamped MING DYNASTY

I think I bought it back in 1965 during the Watts riots to be able to reload my 6.5mm Carcano carbine that I bought at "wall mart"...(wasnt wall mart but a similar store) for $5 from a barrel, that I bought for home protection. Up to that day I had never had a weapon in the house even though I grew up shooting starting at 8 years old. My father was a competition shooter and as kids we always had guns in the house but I didnt for some reason until the Watts Riots and I told my wife I didnt care what color the booger was, if he/she was coming for MY STUFF he would face a gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.