223 AI Chambering Issues

panhandlepr

My other thread on the 223 Ackley Improved has brought up an issue that does concern me and that is the chambering of a cartridge with a 40 degree should and what should I expect
when I bring this rifle home from the gunsmith. Could some of folks who have one of these conversions explain what I will be experiencing. Thanks

Panhandlepr

panhandlepr, I'm not exactly sure what you are wanting to know, but I have a 223AI and what you should expect IF your smith chambered it correctly is a rifle that will chamber and shoot regular 223 rounds that when ejected will have noticeably less body taper and a sharper shoulder angle. The slightly less body taper and the sharper shoulder angle are what increase the case capacity slightly. It is my understanding that the sharper shoulder insures a more positive(?) headspace and as a side benefit it almost eliminates the need to trim cases in the future(if you started out at the correct length of course) Its a fun cartridge and easy to get brass for. Good luck.
Jim

What I'm really looking for is some feedback on how well the cartridge will chamber compared to a standard 223 when you pushing the bolt into locked position. Do they jam up because they aren't centered or do you have to hand chamber each round?

My 223 AI is a Sako Vixen and is clip fed, thus no issues at all. I do have a 22-250AI in a Rem 700 ADL version and I have no feeding issues with that round out of a staggered box magazine. So, I can only comment on the two AI's that I have. No problems for me at all. I have seen posts on here that did state that there may be problems, but I personally have not encounter any with the two that I have.

Jim

panhandlepr,
When you feed a standard 223 into your improved chamber you should notice resistance on closing the bolt.
This is because the improved chamber will be cut shorter then the standard 223 chamber, enabling proper headspace to be achieved when fireforming the improved case.
If you dont feel any resistance when closing your bolt your chamber may be cut to deep, resulting in headspace issues.

Ian.

MY 223 AI is built on a 700 action and my only gripe with it is the feeding issues. When I had it built I had asked the smith if there were any feeding issues and he said NO. Well he had recently purchased the reamer and only done a couple others. Since he has stated others have had some problems also. If overall length is too long bullet sometimes wants to nose into counterbore instead of chamber. Think this results from the 'fatter' case not coming off feed rails correctly. Also with so little case taper round goes easily into the chamber about 75% of the way and then sometimes hangs up. You have to jiggle bolt or shake rifle to be able to close bolt properly. Sometimes if you just shove bolt ahead round will chamber and sometimes not. Believe there is only about .004 taper on the case so things have to line up pretty straight from the gitgo. Don't know if it is a tolerance thing on Rem actions or what but some have no problems. Mine is a super shooter so pretty hard to give it the 'redheaded stepchild' treatment. Also using 50 Nosler BT's it will sure dump a coyote. Too many pros to the cartridge to make a decision solely on feeding IMO though. Hope this helps you some.

I am feeding mine through a hs precision DM and do not have any problems at all. Centerfeeding helps

d-a

Thanks SD. This was the type of answer I've looking for. I quess I have done a poor job of discribing what my concerns were. Now, I'm kind of sitting on the fence. I like the pros of the AI case but it looks like it also has some negitive sides also. My barrel arrived from Hart this morning and I'm ready to get going, but now I have to decide which way to go with this. LOL!!!!

Panhandlepr

I have two different AI cartridges both on Rem 700 actions. One is a 6mm AI and the other is a 223AI both have the same problem feeding from the magazine described above by SDWhirlwind. I have found that if I don't fill the magazine completely the feeding dificulties are reduced, but not eliminated. Both shoot extremely well so I have learned to live with the problem. Accuracy should be very good. I get .28 out of my 223AI.

Panhandlepr, we talked about this on another forum. Have thought of a way to get around it (correct way is to have the action modified, as I told you). Get one of the inserts from Midway, etc., that fit in your action, over the follower (the piece the cartridge sets on and is pushed up by). You pull the rifle out of the stock and insert this feed ramp thing (forget the name, sorry), and it converts your rifle to a single shot, which gets rid of the feeding problem. Stormrider should do the same thing. As I told you, you MUST have the action modified to feed right, and then it's ruined for any other round. Hope this helps. Hope you not disappointed if you get this AI round made up, though, if you have a chronograph, think you will be, as little or no velocity improvement, and not likely to be more accurate than a standard 223. What rifling twist did you get, that will determine what bullet weight you can use.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.