.222, .221, .223?

rolltide

Hey guys,

This isn't truly long range, but I need a short range varmint rifle for out to 300-350 max. I will be using it for everything from groundhogs to crows to the occasional spring gobbler thats hung up out of range on the last day of season, like last year.

Several friends have older .222s and I have had a few .223s over the years, but never really fell in love with it. I have no experience with the .221 I have longer ranges covered but wanted something smaller that won't tear up as much of a gobbler, should I get the chance.

I'm hoping you guys will have some insight I haven't thought about. The only reason I haven't just bought a .222 is that I haven't found anything I like. My dad has an older Rem 700 BDL Varmint and my uncle has an old Rem 700 BDL. I'd love to have an older varmint model like dads, but sadly they are few and far between.

Any suggestions on rifles would be appreciated too. I've thought about another CZ or maybe a Kimber or Cooper. I seem to be struggling with this more than I should be.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Chris

For that range I would say look at either the 223 or 204 Ruger. The 221 and 222 will get that far in good conditions but the first two I mentioned will do better.

Rifle choice should be simply what you prefer personally.

Kirby Allen(50)

I shoot a 222 but it is hard to argue against a 223! I personally would not consider a 221 FB. Soon my 222 will be shot out and I am leaning towards the 204??

Whatever decision you make it will not be the wrong one.

My vote is the 223 I have owned the 427 CZ and a couple others . I presently own a Tikka con't varmint with a 26 inch barrel. Its a real shooter and I have shot out to 400 on a calm day and 300-340 or so every day weather. I can get around 3500fps with benchmark and H335 It is a reloaders dream it is easy to load for and very cost effective.You can get lapua brass and it is somewhat affordable.
You wanted to shoot turkeys the 223 would be your better choice because you can get bullets that will not explode and distroy the meat. I do not think you can find a 204 bullet that won't explode.
My brother in law has a cooper varmint with the vented stock and I have been able to shoot it in the past very nice good shooting rifle couldn't go wrong. I believe that in the guns for sale section somebody has about four or so for sale
Ihope this helps
Rh

Thanks for the feedback. I have leaned more towards the .222 for nostalgia, but the .223 seems to be the obvious choice. I stopped by my local shop yesterday and they were talking favorably about the Savage Mod. 40 in .22 Hornet. Can't say I have any experience with one, nor do I think that is the route to go.

I wonder how much velocity I will lose in a .223 with a 24' barrel versus a 26'?

[ QUOTE ]
I really had no idea how hard it would be to decide on this. I'm leaning towards a .223 Cooper, but not really sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are thinking about a Cooper and you reload think about a 223 Ackley Improved.

I shoot a Rem classic in 221Fb for just the type of game and distances you mention.Can't imagine a better round for the job.Extreme accuracy,low report,minimal damage on game and furbearers,and easy to get to shoot with a variety of bullets/powders.I've had enough experience with the 223 and 223AI to say they seem to pack a bit too much punch to be truly ideal on turkeys.Head shots? Good luck cause in my experience a turkey's head is never still long enough for a shot. Just my .02 worth.
Brute

Brute,

I know what you mean on the turkey's head never being still. I had thought about the FireBall, but don't have any experience with it and I don't know anyone who does. Seems like somebody had Rem 700 LVSF .221s on closeout not too long ago.

Is a .22 Hornet even worth considering?

Rolltide,
For that range I'd go with the .223 Rem. I have had a couple of .22-250's (BDL Varmint and VS) and while they're accurate, fast and terminal at that range, I've yet to have a crow "outrun" the same bullet from a .223.
The .223 is a tad more economical and just as accurate. Less powder, muzzle blast and recoil (and velocity). Case capacity is 31.4 grains for the .223 and 44.6 for the .22-250.
A couple of years ago I swore by the .22-250 and it's still a hotrod, but I started playing around with the little .223 and kinda lost interest in the "varminter".
I've never owned a .222 but would love to have one in the ole BDL Varmint Special (1970's). Never have been impressed with the Fireball or Hornet and the Swift is tooo much of a good thing (IMO).
Hope some of this helped. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.