.222, .221, .223?

i have a cooper in a 220 swift they are great guns. love mine.and got a rem. 40x in a 22-250 that shoots 10 shot groupes @.224 out side to out side at a 100yrds.

had a kember in the 223 but did not shoot as good as i would of liked it to so i trade it in on the cooper 220 swift. Not knocking kember because you can get a so so one in any thing.

OPPSSS i i stated the wrong groupe size on the 22-250 that should of been center to center not out to out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chris

.223 it has a good variety of cartridges from 50-77 gr, plus you can get them by the case of fed 500 economical on ammo and barrel life, plus it passes the 22-250's velocity at 500 yrds, so initial velocity is less important than the BC and gr weight. It will have more down range energy with less WD as well. I initially wanted a 22-250 real bad, but after a bit more research it's a .223

A 223 with a heavy bullet might surpass a 22-250 at 500 yards when loaded with a light bullet, however when both loaded with the same bullets, the 22-250 wins everytime.

I have a .222 rem and find it perfect out to 300 yards. Very accurate with anything I feed it, and I can see my hits. Barrel life is great and so is accuracy. I either shoot the 40g bullets at 3400-3500, or the 55g at 3000fps.

Only bad thing about it is lack of factory ammo, if thats a concern for you. And it cost more then a 223.

Thanks guys for all of the replys. I've been chasing longbeards and debating what new toy to buy. I've decided that .223 is the way to go.

Now I just have to figure out what flavor to go with. I'm thinking about the thumbhole remington, but not sure. I saw a Tikka the other day, but I can't get used to the magazine hanging out. That is the reason I got rid of my CZ 527 in .223 I have thought several times about buying a new one because the old one shot so well, but I can't get past the magazine.

Any ideas?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys for all of the replys. I've been chasing longbeards and debating what new toy to buy. I've decided that .223 is the way to go.

Now I just have to figure out what flavor to go with. I'm thinking about the thumbhole remington, but not sure. I saw a Tikka the other day, but I can't get used to the magazine hanging out. That is the reason I got rid of my CZ 527 in .223 I have thought several times about buying a new one because the old one shot so well, but I can't get past the magazine.

Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

This might help you decide. The twist rate. With a 12" you can use up to 40-55gr, 9" up to 40-65gr, 8"up to 40-80gr. Now depends on the range you want to shoot at now and future. The bigger the grain the more accurate at longer ranges. An 8" twist is the most versatile and you can get up to 1,000 yrds accurately. Smaller the grain less the distance you will get accurately.
For factory rifles Tikka is the only one to have an 8" and for the 9" Savage, CZ, and the Rem police. All other Rem are 12". Now for the magazine hanging out in the Tikka it depends on which model you want. The varmints and tactical are like that cause they hold 5 cartridges, while the other versions don't. They are also have a super smooth action and very accurate.

Savage has came out with a model for 2007 that is 1 in 7 for 223 and 1 in 9 for 22-250.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.