220 ackley

TCampbell

I just purchased a used 220 swift improved 40deg. It was built by Carolina Percision Rifles and has a trued winchester short action and a 28in Pac-nor 3 groove 1-9 twist barrel. I am wondering if anyone has any pet loads for this caliber? The guy I got it from has 2 loads he shot, 75 a-max 43gr Rel-22 and 60gr v-max 46gr Rel-22 (CCI MAG Primers). It shoots ok with these loads but I want to do some experimenting and am having a hard time finding any data for the heaver bullets. Also what is the reasoning behind a 3 groove barrel over a 5 or 6 groove?

Any help would be appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm hoping to spank some yotes with this rig this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks

I have re-read that post and still can't find any load data? Am I missing something? What I'm looking for is what powders would be good and how much? I haven't found any data on the 220 ackly with heavy bullets (70-80gr).
I was hoping to find someone that has some experience with this round.

Thanks

Sorry, My bad... I will ask around and see what I can find out for you...

One thing you can do is email Walt Berger, if one of the bullets you plan on using is his... He is a great help and will answer your question. [email protected] he will send you load data to try for his bullets.

I had you read the post to answer your 3 goove 5-6 groove question too...

One load I found...

220 Swift Ackley, all bullet weights
Bullet Powder Weight Powder Velocity OAL Primer Source
75gr BTHP 40.3 gr H4350 3,350 fps 2.865" Fed LRM guest
very accurate fireforming load, shoots < 0.25" at 100 yards. 75 gr Hornady AMax - Federal Gold Match LR Magnum primer - Winchester brass - 27" barrel

Good luck

[ QUOTE ]
Also what is the reasoning behind a 3 groove barrel over a 5 or 6 groove?

[/ QUOTE ]

3 grove barrel supposed to be easy on bullet and also will hold it's accuracy longer when compared to a 5 or six grove.
I have Pacnor 3 grove supermatch on my 308 Tactical and it's a shooter. Your 220 is a high velocity rounds. This is the reason why the previous owner mounted a 3 grove barrel on it.

Just use the load information out of the sierra manual and work your way up . stick to the 3 or so powders that are slower that round should shoot the 69s and 80s real good My experiance with the standard 220 swift it the 69s out to about 400 and the 80s beyond out of a 26 inch 3 groove lilja I hunt coyotes with mine and gennerally use the 69s Any way just start with the upper end of the prectrum in the sierra book. As for the 3 groove the idea is to gain barrel life. This is my first one so I can't be sure it works as of yet although at 3500fps and somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800 round the accuracy has slipped very very very slightly from .2@100 to .3@100. I'm not sure how much differance the ackley for the 220 would be but I use AA4350 but you might be able to use a little slower powder. Hope this is of some use

RH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts