220 Swift

srhaggerty

I just got a Ruger M77 220 swift yesterday. Can anyone share some load data for 50 and 55 grain V-max bullets? I appreciate it.

A 220 swift is one of those cartridges that there is no secret recipie what my gun likes might not work in yours so you will have to tinker a little to see what your barrel likes best mine loves 55gr bal.tips with 41.5gr Win760 at 3825fps. I have more than 2000 rounds down my barrel with this combo and it still shoots sub 3/8" groups at 100yds.one drawback with my 220swift is that it will NOT shoot under 1 1/2" groups unless the bullet is touching the lands, making it a single shot only. one other bit of advice with this round is try Norma brass and neck size only until you have to bump the shoulder back.
B

I appreicate the reply. Since this is a varmint rifle being on the land is not a problem. I will tiner some this weekend. I am going to try IMR 4064 in a 50 grain tip. Maybe some h380 on 55 ones.

srhaggerty,
Your gonna love that Swift! I have the best results with VV N160 w/55 Bal Tip (Speer book) or IMR4831 (Nosler book).
Just off the lands (.007)

Srhaggerty

I would stay away from the IMR powders in the .220 swift. While they are great powders and do perform very well, they have very high burn temperatures. I used to use IMR 4831 with a charge of 42.2 grains. After 2-3 shots the barrel would be VERY hot - I have heard that this is the case with IMR 4064 as well. I have shot a Swift for years and tried just about everything out there. I personally use Alliant Reloader 15. It is a very good powder with a slightly low burn tremperature. I use Speer TNT 50 gr bullets with a charge of 39.5 grains of Reloader 15. I had chronoed them at about 3850 fps. The bullets hold together and I have group averaging 5 shot 1/4" groups at 100 yards. My Cart overall length is 2.770" I have to single shot the rounds, but hey, that is what varmint shooting is all about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Another great load for me was 38.0 grains of Reloader 15 with a 55 gr Nosler Ballistic tip. About 3/8" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I have personally shot this load out to 800 yards ( won't even fleck paint anymore at that range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

Good luck with that swift! You will love the performance and the accuracy.

srhaggerty,
you were talking about trying H380, it is probably the most temp. sensitive powder I have EVER used. if you want to use Hodgden try H414 instead far superior in the swift.
B

i shot 38.5 grs varget behind 50gr blitz king shot very well at around 3700+fps (not super fast but ...)and i shot 43.5 grs H414 behind 55vmax at around 3850 shot real good with both loads....i believe both are under max but look them up first...Brien

I second the h380 powder choice. I did not have good luck with it. Varget was much better for me, but I'm talking 22-250 and not 220 here so it might be ok for you. A lot of people use it just not me anymore.

I agree with brianb& BTM,43.5 gr of 414 is what Ive used in two Rem classic 220s and was the best load I found for both of them.From the little experience Ive had with Rugers,it can sometimes be hard to seat the bullet very close to or on the lands with thier newer guns.The old M77s were chambered much better than the new ones.

I had a Swift for about 20 years and used 43 gns of AR 2209 (H 4350 in the US) with the 52 and 53 gn Hornady match hollow points . Same load worked in my rifle with the 55gn V Max or 44 gn with the 50 gn V Max . These are maximum loads but I had excellent case and barrel life with them . 50gn load was close to 4000 fps from memory . 5 shots around 1/2 MOA in my Sako .

I am just guessing here, but I think 1:14". I just had some H380 left over from test loading a .257 Roberts. I just thought I would give it a shot. I was reading in my nosler reloading book the other night and they recommended the IMR 4064 for the 220. I did also think of giving the Varget a try or reloader 15... We shall see.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.