220 Swift Ackley Improved pet loads.

KTrot

Just got a new toy and want to play. Does anyone have any pet loads in this caliber. I have a Shilen 27in barrel with 1/9 twist on a Ruger 77. Thanks.

What bullets are you planning to use, and what will you be hunting with this rifle ????
UB

I have a 26" Hart barrel heavy 6 flutes. It's on a FN action "SPR" same thing as a pre 64 Winchester model 70. I'm going to try 65-75 grain bullets after I break this barrel in with these 60 grain Hornady's Custom loads so I'll have some fire formed brass to work with. I guess all I can do is wait and see what shoots the best group. Ah by the way I'll be shooting small game, prairie dogs and other varmints as well as paper targets. Anyone here have some different load data they would like to offer up?

I shoot the 220 Weatherby rocket which is nearly the same thing. The cases are so close you can hardly tell them apart. It is one of my best shooters. I can go 100% on prarie dogs at a 1/4 mile with it. My favorite load with it is 46 grains of H-4350 with the nosler 52 grain match bullet at 4017 fps. It consistently shoots .1's and .2's at 100 yards.

What I would really like to find is some load data using 65-75 gr bullets. I really think this is what this rifle is going to like. I've got 100 rounds of Hornady custom rounds that are loaded with 60 gr V max to fire formfor the brass and break in the barrel. I'll see what the 60 gr. bullets will do and know a lot more. Maybe I'll look into what they are loading 22-250's and 243's and start there with a light load and work up from there. Might just be a lot more fun that way.

Anyone know what the over all case length of the 220 Swift Ackley should be. I have just fire formed 80 Hornady custom factory swift loads. I just want to see how much they need to be trimmed if any. Dropped a prairie dog at 650 yards. Now that I have some cases and the chamber prints I'm going to have a set of dies made up.

I used to have a stock Ruger 77V that was a .220 Swift. With a max load of H414 and a 52 gr Sierra hpbt this was a 10 shot one holer at 100 yards. With H380 it shot faster and would go to about .300 groups. I loved this gun, barrel lasted about 2300 rounds. It is now a .243Ackley Im.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts