22-250 twist rate

NotEnoughTriggerTime

planning for a new barrel for a 22-250.

I'm planning on shooting groundhogs out to 500 yards, but most will probably be in the 150 to 250 range. Also plan on some local target shooting fun shoots.

I plan on using the Nosler 55 grain BT's, but may try some 60 gr.

i'm also figuring on a 26-27" long barrel.

Checking around to some of the barrelmakers websites, they generally suggest a 1:12 for 55 grain, although some suggest a 1:14 twist.

Looking for pro's & cons for one vs the other in a new barrel.
confused.gif

Opinions will vary but here is what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

I'd get a 1-9" twist. The 9" twist will make it possible to shoot the very accurate mid/hvy bullets like the Sierra 69grHPBT or the Hornady 75gr A-Max bullet. The 9" will also shoot the 55gr-60gr bullets very well.

A slower twist barrel like the 12" or 14" will only be beneficial for shooting the lightweights. The little 40gr bullets normally shoot better in these slower twist barrels.

While the 9" often gets decent accuracy even with the 40 grainers, it would not be ideal for that light of a bullet.

The 22-250 (and the 22-250AI)have plenty of power for the 55gr - 75gr bullets so why not put on a barrel that can accomodae them.
On the windy days you will be glad that you did.

Just my 2 cents - VH

[ 03-28-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

I will second that too...

1-9 twist(for 75's) or maybe 1-10(68's) I would shoot the hornady 68 gr hpbt match bullets, they have a bit higher bc than the sierras. Or the 75 gr a-max

You know, i've never heard any reports on that Hornady 68-- How's the terminal ballistics with it?? I've had the best terminal ballistics out of the 69 Nosler Comp. from my AR .223 AI. 9 twist all the way for that 250.

[ 03-28-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.