22-250 to 6mm cartridge conversion?

shooter2904

I have a savage model 12 varmint in 22-250 that will be due for a rebarrel soon, my question is how easy/hard would it be to convert it to a 6x284 cartridge or something similiar? I got out my reloading book and seen that the cartridges are not that different, wasn't sure how difficult it would be. Since I am will be doing a rebarrel I thought this would be the perfect time to ask this question on here. What all would be involved other than a new barrel for this type of conversion(action, etc..)? Is it worth it to perform such conversion or would it be better to stick with the 250? I will be mainly using the rifle for varmints up to 1k yards and the 284 stuck out to me. Has anyone else done this type of conversion? Thanks

Just takes a little work on the magazine to make it feed.The 6X284 hasn't got enough barrel life for me. I like the 6-6.5X47 Lapua. You're welcome to call and ask questions.

Regards

My thoughts exactly.

6.5x284 gets a lot of bad pr regarding short barrel life. 6x284 is even more overbore than that.

Also, you might want to look at the 6xc.
6XC Cartridge Guide

There are plenty of other good options as well.

-- richard

well what would be a similiar cartridge that would give me a little bit barrel life

no free lunch

22-250 is hotter and less barrel life than 223.

6x284 is hotter and less barrel life than 6br.

I think the 6x47L and 6XC are a good balance.

You can almost say barrel life is inversely proportional to MV.

You also need to select what bullets you expect to use as this will influence the twist rate you need.

How and for what purpose do you plan to use the rifle?

-- richard

You can most definitely rebarrel to a 6-284 & you won't even have to change your bolt head (which isn't very hard on a Savage anyway). Here's the dilema, your Short Action won't have enough room to run the LONG high BC bullets in 6mm. My 6-284 with 107SMK is sitting at a COAL of 3.100-ish, with the bearing surface/boattail junction sitting right at the neck shoulder junction of the case.

The 6-284 is a fire breathing dragon of course! & I absolutely love it, neither of the above mentioned cartridges can come close in velocity. The cartridge did, at one time, set a world 1,000 yd benchrest record (which has now been surpassed) with the 107SMK. So we know it shoots!

But, both of the above mentioned cartridges will outlast the throat life as well... so what.... barrels are expendable. With the proper setup, you should be able to set it back once or twice & get you $$'s worth out of it.

I really like the concept of the 6x47 Lapua & have read some fantastic reports of it's capability. You sure can't go wrong with that one. The 6xc is so close to the 243 win that I wonder if it's worth it..... (the good ole 243 would be a great choice as well).

For a real accurate cartridge, rechamber to the 6mm Dasher (6 BR) blown forward .1" and 40 degree shoulder. It will easily shoot a 105 gr Berger to 3000 fps w/ a 26"+ barrel. Mine would shoot to the low 2" at 600yds in competition.

243 is a good cartridge

I think 6xc can be formed from 22-250 cases if the OP has a stockpile

barrel life is subjective

for some, barrels are consumables just like brass, powder, bullets

and... there's nothing wrong with that

well I will be mostly using the rifle for varmints and brench rest shooting with more BR shooting than varmint out to 800-1000yards and what a caliber than still retains some decent knock down power. Thanks for all the suggestions guys mainly I just want a bigger cartridge without modifying the gun too much I want to change to a different stock as well so if that opens up more options I would love to hear about them. Thanks

I still feel the 6 Dasher is an excellent choice. I just retired mine and installing it on a varmint rifle. It will do anything you need and is accurate, which is what you need to hit anything that far. That Berger bullet will take any varmint and will take deer out to 300 yds with this cartridge and maybe farther. Be sure to use Lapau brass and I use Varget powder about 33 gr so it's cheap to shoot. I've shot groups at 100 yds that measured in the teens or .16 or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.