22-250 or AI with 75gr/80gr AMAX - Looking for Others Experiences

300magman

I'm wondering who is running a standard 22-250 or 22-250 AI and what your experiences are with the 75 or 80gr AMAX.

What velocities are you getting?
Out of what barrel length?
Custom or factory barrel?
Twist Rate?

And most importantly, how are the bullets holding up for you.

I have heard that 3200-3300 fps might be pushing absolute max for these bullets to survive long term (By long term I mean, they might shoot well at first, but after a few hundred shots, when the throat starts getting rough, they may start comming apart)
However according to Quickload, even the standard 22-250 could drive these bullets faster.

I had a Cooper in 22-250 AI with 14" twist. I had it re-barreled with a 26" 8" twist Rock bbl. I wanted to push 75gr A-max to 3400 fps. Load was too hot and accuracy was marginal at best.Plus sever bbl erosion after 300 rnds. I still had to trim brass looking back I wish I never re-barreled it and just stuck with 55gr bullet that with a stiff load of W-W 760 I was able to get 3900 + . Now I just bought a T/C Ventura predator in 22-250 it shoots great and there is no way I'd open up the chamber for a measly 5-8% velocity increase.

That is the article that motivated me to that magic number of 3400 fps. But with H4350 I couldn't do it.Quickly produced pressure signs. Every rifle is different. Re#22 is the powder that worked for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts