22-250 issues- help?

peppy1hunting

I recently purchased once fired winchester brass and a set of Lee RCB dies to reload. First case in press brass broke at the shoulder and the next 4 have severe stress rings around the neck - followed set up from Speer manual on setting the dies and is the same from the directions for set up that come with the dies. Clues what I may be doing wrong? Bad dies? I have reloaded hundreds of rounds for 243, 270, 7mm rem Mag and 300 win mag and never seen these issues before. Help!

peppy,
Have you tried partial sizing? Maybe you can partial size the necks and see if this remedies the problem for the short term.
Is the brass you bought old or new? It sounds like the brass is hard/cracked in the neck area, maybe from age cracking, maybe it's not 'once fired' as you have been told.
I no longer use Winchester brass for that very reason, it is hard and tends to crack necks on the first or second firing.
I use Remington and Nosler brass only in most rifles I own.
I would scrap all of that brass, unless you know how to anneal them, and buy new Remmy or Nosler brass.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

I did think about the brass being old, but have never had issue before. you just have to rely on what people tell you on "once fired". I did think I would try an other brand of brass and see if that made any difference. Thanks for suggestion. I did try partial resizing but since it was fired from a different gun I have to size it or the brass doesn't cycle through my gun. I'll try an other brand of brass and see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts