22-250 load help

Dosh

My son purchased NIB Ruger Heavy Varmint 22-250 with 26" stainless 1:14 barrel. Like Bergers, but per Berger site only the flat base bullets perform well in 1:14. Would like opinions on 60+ gr. bullets that will perform out to 5-600 yds. Also need input on non-temp sensitive powders particularly the IMR Endurons for this caliber. Thanks

My son purchased NIB Ruger Heavy Varmint 22-250 with 26" stainless 1:14 barrel. Like Bergers, but per Berger site only the flat base bullets perform well in 1:14. Would like opinions on 60+ gr. bullets that will perform out to 5-600 yds. Also need input on non-temp sensitive powders particularly the IMR Endurons for this caliber. Thanks

I didn't know anybody still did the 22-250 with a 14 twist. Not every 55 grain bullet will work, but still there are many. Have heard the 55 grain Nosler Bt will. The 55 grain Hornaday Vmax shoots very, but also is close to the max B/C for a 14 twist. Forget the 53 grain Vmax. You need a bullet with a B/C under .26.
gary

I have a Remington with a 14 twist, mine likes the 55 grain v max and varget but not 60s it's a factory gun and shoots 3/8 moa or better consistently if I do my part

My 22-250 is in the form of a Tikka T3 with a 1:14" twist barrel. It really likes Varget behind a 55 gr Sierra Blitzking.

60+ grain bullets from a 14 twist just isn't realistic. You might be able to get something like the Hornady 60 grain spire point to work, but it still won't be a long range bullet. A lot of the longer, more streamlined 55's are marginal in a 14 twist. Based on my own experience from a 14 twist 22-250, your best bet is to go with bullets such as the 50 VMAX and 52 AMAX. With the right powders, you can push those bullets @ 3900+ with accuracy.

I felt very limited by my original 14 twist and re-barreled to a 12 twist. I am much happier with it, but my next barrel will be an 8 or 9 twist.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The son is selling the rifle to the fellow bidder for a small profit and will avoid 1:14 22-250 rifles. He likes the heavier for caliber bullets and this one can't handle them.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The son is selling the rifle to the fellow bidder for a small profit and will avoid 1:14 22-250 rifles. He likes the heavier for caliber bullets and this one can't handle them.

That is a wise move. There aren't many fast twist 22-250's from the factory, which just has me scratching my head because it seems to me to be such a "no-brainer" of a decision. I know Savage makes a 9 twist 22-250.

Depending on what specific features he is after, it might not be a bad idea to look for a used savage in a standard chambering, swap the barrel, and set it up the way he wants. If he went that route, going with an 8 twist and an AI chamber might be worth consideration.

That is a wise move. There aren't many fast twist 22-250's from the factory, which just has me scratching my head because it seems to me to be such a "no-brainer" of a decision. I know Savage makes a 9 twist 22-250.

Depending on what specific features he is after, it might not be a bad idea to look for a used savage in a standard chambering, swap the barrel, and set it up the way he wants. If he went that route, going with an 8 twist and an AI chamber might be worth consideration.

Racer, for some unknown mutation of genes my son is a Ruger fanatic (14 of them). His only other make rifle is a Weatherby. He's considering a rebarrel of a Tang Model 77 to a 1:8 or 1:9 22-250. A Savage would be less costly and much easier I agree. Thanks

Racer, for some unknown mutation of genes my son is a Ruger fanatic (14 of them). His only other make rifle is a Weatherby. He's considering a rebarrel of a Tang Model 77 to a 1:8 or 1:9 22-250. A Savage would be less costly and much easier I agree. Thanks

Nothing wrong with that. I have a 6.5-284 built on a 77MkII. I'm not wild about the cartridge, but I like the rifle. If your son likes the Ruger American, it might be a good basis for what he wants, too. It comes from the factory with a 10 twist, which would allow use of the 69 SMK class bullets.

If you want to shoot 60gr+ bullets, good choice in getting rid of the 1:14" rifle. Nothing wrong with them, they just can't handle a heavy bullet. 40-55gr is a good range for those.

A Savage comes in a 12 twist with a 9 twist as an option. The 12 twist will shoot 60 grain bullets, but the groups are also starting to open up. My three shoot .60" groups (5 shot), while shooting 55 Sierra Blitz in the .30" area. I've seen some Remingtons in a 12 twist, but don't think they've ever done a nine twist. The twelve twist will shoot the Hornaday 53 grain Vmax pretty well, But also think a .28 is about the max the twist rate will handle. Even then the groups are starting to open up with the 53 grain bullet. If I wanted to shoot the heavier and higher B/C bullets, I'd simply buy a nine twist Savage.
gary

morning, I shoot 53gr. flat base Barnes bullets, 205m primer, Nosler and Winchester

brass . I use 25.5gr.s of Ramshot Tac. if I do my part will shoot .200-.250 groups. I

shoot a Remington SPS heavy barrel l/h 26" Barrel. 1-14 twist. I did not know the rem.

had a 1-14 twist till I received the weapon. can not gripe!!

I shoot grackles, crows down the farm. need a partner to hunt yotes, and whatever!!

the load I mentioned is a kiss of death to hogs. when shot in the ear the top

of the head vaporizes.lightbulbgun)

morning, I shoot 53gr. flat base Barnes bullets, 205m primer, Nosler and Winchester

brass . I use 25.5gr.s of Ramshot Tac. if I do my part will shoot .200-.250 groups. I

shoot a Remington SPS heavy barrel l/h 26" Barrel. 1-14 twist. I did not know the rem.

had a 1-14 twist till I received the weapon. can not gripe!!

I shoot grackles, crows down the farm. need a partner to hunt yotes, and whatever!!

the load I mentioned is a kiss of death to hogs. when shot in the ear the top

of the head vaporizes.lightbulbgun)
25.5 grains?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.