22-250 Ackley Improved - 1:9 twist - 30"

jes10x1

22-250 Ackley Improved - 1:9 twist - 30\"

I've ordered the above barrel for my Savage mod 12. My goal is to have a rifle for:
1. long range competition to 1000 yds and
2. longer range varmit work..

My thought is to start with one bullet that should work for both - that being the 75 A-max which has worked well for 600yd in my AR.

I've estimated the max velocity between 3300 and 3500 fps, so the rotational speed should be ok for the bullet - given my barrel maker does a good job on the rifling.

Given the greater case capacity, I'm hoping to use a bit slower powders to fully utilize the 30" barrel (which also gives me more sight radius for my iron site work).

Does anyone have any experience loading this caliber/bullet wt combination they are willing to share?
JS

Re: 22-250 Ackley Improved - 1:9 twist - 30\"

I'm shooting a Douglas 26" 1:8 twist on a Savage 12. I've been working with the 80g Amax and R-22.

Your suspected velocities are realistic, but accuracy may not be attainable. I've had the 80's over 3300 but they don't shoot worth a hoot.

I have rounds loaded to test running them a little slower....around 3100 or so.

Thanks for that information. I am hoping to get a bit more velocity - with accuracy. Accuracy always has the nod. My goal for target work is to be able to shoot along with or close to a 6.5x284 - 140 gr out to 1000 yds.

From the ballistics tables, it appears that with the 75 A-max, 3200 FPS is nearly identical in wind drift, which is the key for target work - as long as the accuracy is there.

Regarding powder. My thought it to start with what I have AA4350, H4831 for the slower burning and Varget or perhaps RL-15 for the faster. Any thoughts?

Reed Mosser has a lot of expierence w/ big 22's maybe you could pm him...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.