210grain 30cal Berger VLD reloading

Rainy

Hello all!,

Just bought these rounds and plan on working up a load for my 300wby mag. I use Redding competition dies, and heard they make a special seating stem for the VLD line of bullets. Does anyone have any input on this (bought it, use it, know the correct part number I need)? As always, thanks so much for your input!

Any particular reason for using the 210 ?
The 215 has a way better BC and will give more velocity as it has a shorter bearing surface. It is a well known performer on game also.

Took 2 elk with 300RUM using 210 VLD. Moving to 230 Hybrid, can't get much more Velocity from 215 and 230 is more accurate in my carbon gun
Have 2 other 300RUM so will work loads for them with 215&230.
Have a 6#10oz 300 Weatherby I built years ago that I've killed all kinds of things with using 180gr Scriaccos and it shoots both 210VLDs and 215 lights out, thinking about putting a VX5 5-15x44 on it which would be better long range and it would be 6#14oz

Any particular reason for using the 210 ?
The 215 has a way better BC and will give more velocity as it has a shorter bearing surface. It is a well known performer on game also.
210grain is locally available. I'll look into the 215 and 230s. Found the correct seating stem. Redding #55730 if anyone else is looking for it. Thanks to all for your comments!

Took 2 elk with 300RUM using 210 VLD. Moving to 230 Hybrid, can't get much more Velocity from 215 and 230 is more accurate in my carbon gun
Have 2 other 300RUM so will work loads for them with 215&230.
Have a 6#10oz 300 Weatherby I built years ago that I've killed all kinds of things with using 180gr Scriaccos and it shoots both 210VLDs and 215 lights out, thinking about putting a VX5 5-15x44 on it which would be better long range and it would be 6#14oz
My gun is pretty heavy too. Haven't weighed it though. Has a vortex viper pst gen2 ffp 5x25x50. Berger will be all new to me. I've used nosler for all my reloading, but recently ran into a big problem. Started measuring from ogive rather than oal, and the darn plastic tips on their accubond line aren't consistent... was having feeding issues due to plastic tips getting stuck in clip. Lots of folks swear by Berger so I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.