210gr Berger Match VLD - 300 Win Mag

rouser_00

Hi guys
First time poster to this fantastic web site. I was just wondering if anyone out there has had any success with 210gr match vld bergers out of their 300 Win mag. Currently im using 72.7 grains of RL22 jammed 10 thou into the lands, CCI magnum primers and RWS brass. They are being shot out of a Unique Alpine TPG1.
I was curious as to what success you guys have had out there with this combination or any other combination for that matter. Did you find these bullets like to be seated deep into the lands or seated far off the lands. This is basically just a fact finding mission to see what brings best results from various rifles.
Thanks for all your time and help guys

Welcome to LRH. You've come to the right place when it comes to "fact finding missions."

The 210VLD in your 300winmag when pushed to decent velocity is capable of killing deer at 1000yards. As for powders, RL22 is a good powder but it is temp sensitive. My recommendation would to give Hodgdon's H1000 a try.

As for accuracy with the VLDs, they are seating depth sensitive. You can read Berger's suggested process for determining the right depth for your load/rifle here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/.

The bullet to try these days is the new 215grain Berger Hybrid. With their hybrid ogive they are much less seating depth sensitive. Also, they have a better BC than the 210 and as a result, buck the wind better.

There's a guy on this forum who's screenname is Broz. Use the search function and find threads started by him. There is an extensive thread on his testing of the 215 in a 300winmag. Once you read it, you will switch.

+1 on the 'guy on this forum who's screenname is Broz'. :)

He is probably THE source for experience with the 210, 215, 230 Bergers. Without a doubt he is the Guru! :D

Also, the archives are just chock full of info on every topic you can think of. Search to your hearts content and absorb the collective knowledge of this exceptional forum of long range intellectuals! These gentlemen ARE rocket scientists!! :D

Welcome!

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

DocB

Hi Guys
Thanks for the advice and pointing me in the right direction and especially thanks for the friendly welcome:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.