210 berger vld's / 208 Amax

DT7

How similar are the 210 bergers and the 208 Amax bullets?

Do any of you shoot the Amax's for target shooting and then switch to bergers for hunting?

Are you able to load to the same charge and seating depth for each bullet?

Are they close enough to use data gathered from the Amax with any reliability on the bergers?

I have used the 208 Amax on big game up to caribou with good success. Took a deer a little over 1000 yards this year and an antelope a little under a 1000. It shoots very well in my 300 RUM.

If there is any extra run out in the a-max tips they will start to wobble as they slow down, so they actually make a better hunting bullet for extreme ranges because the jacket is thinner, plus the polymer tip will aid them in opening as low as 1000-1200fps, but they don't usually put up 1k groups as tight as bergers. Bergers are good hunting bullets though, they just need more velocity to reliably open. Data will not be much different, the bergers are a 15 cal secant and I personally do not like to jump them at all, but the a-maxs have a tangent ogive and are more forgiving when there jumped. Good luck.

Well hornady list them that way, but a-maxs look like a 200grn accubond with a longer boattail, not really close to the bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.