210 Berger VLD vs 208 A-Max in 300 RUM

Im not sure why one would want to shoot two brands of bullets out of the same gun. If a 210 berger shoots well out of a gun then im sure the animal wont know the difference between an A-max and a berger.... and if your looking at different bullets weights,,,, berger has 185, 190 and 210's... the BC on bergers is better and if a guy shoots the same combo all the drop data stays the same weather its deer season , elk season bear season or what have you....keep in mind the other factors such as elevation and temp.. for me its just ease of use. One chart, one turret, less chance for error. Im for sure that a 210 berger out of a RUM at close range will kill any north american animal shot broad side in lungs. I know of stories about bergers and penetration, but i have not seen it. I cant say what an A-max will do because i dont see the need to try them. not yet. just my 2 cents...

Im not sure why one would want to shoot two brands of bullets out of the same gun. If a 210 berger shoots well out of a gun then im sure the animal wont know the difference between an A-max and a berger.... and if your looking at different bullets weights,,,, berger has 185, 190 and 210's... the BC on bergers is better and if a guy shoots the same combo all the drop data stays the same weather its deer season , elk season bear season or what have you....keep in mind the other factors such as elevation and temp.. for me its just ease of use. One chart, one turret, less chance for error. Im for sure that a 210 berger out of a RUM at close range will kill any north american animal shot broad side in lungs. I know of stories about bergers and penetration, but i have not seen it. I cant say what an A-max will do because i dont see the need to try them. not yet. just my 2 cents...

Actually the bc on the Amax is better than the berger. And he is not saying he wants to shoot both, he is saying that with his new barrel the bergers are not grouping well but the amax's are.

He said he was going to run the A-max on white tail and the Berger on elk and bear...

A published B.C. from the bullet maker is just that... not 100 % reliable. I found a 208 Amax with same 91 gr. of retumbo took 3/4 moa more to hit the same place as a 210 berger at 1000 yards and 1/4 moa more wind inmact. Maybe its just my rifle and reloading skill... but by that I figured the berger had a beter BC reguardless of what the box or Xbal said. I shot them both the same day out of a clean BBL in same wind. The chrono was with in 12 fps with the Amax faster and just assumed that. But thanx for corecting me. A well palced shot from either bullet will make a dead animal. If the new barrel shoots one brand beter than the other it would be reason enough for me to stick to one brand. With either bullet it is hard to seat them out far enough to kiss the lands in the sweet spot and load in the mag. To me bullet perfomance is alot more than just a sub moa group. I shot Barnes for years and they were hard to get under an inch in my hunting rifle but perfomed great on game out to 500 yards.
I switched to beger after the great marketing used on the TV shows and follwed the herd to find they do what they are advertised to do. I shoot them in my 1000 yard BR guns after a long stint with SMK's and they work for me on papper as well. Again just my 2 cents. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.