204 ruger factory ammo

CUTTER1--I have been reloading for the .204 caliber since they came out in 2004. Hornady was the only choice when it came to factory ammo back then and I bought 10 boxes of 32 gr. V-Max ammo and a couple boxes of 40 gr. V-Max ammo when I bought the rifle in Miles City, MT. I think I wound up finding some WW brass later on in 2004 and that became my favorite brass for many years. When Nosler and Norma started making .204 Ruger brass, I tried both of those and switched over to use both brands and still use them today. I had three .204 Ruger rifles until I turned the Savage Target action into a 20 VarTarg last fall.

Of course, my Savage 12VLP had a 1 in 12 twist barrel from the factory and it served me well until August 30, 2012, when I had 2,707 rounds down the barrel. Accuracy had fallen off so I had a 1 in 11 twist three groove SS super match grade Pac-Nor barrel chambered and installed on the 12VLP action. I shot lots of prairie dogs and a fair number of coyotes with that rifle up in NW North Dakota and NE Montana and soon discovered that wind deflection with the 32 gr projectile was a problem. I also used the 35 gr. FBHP Berger on coyotes. It was a great fur-saving bullet for me, but that too gave me problems because of excessive wind deflection. I wound up using the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing and that battled the wind very well. I also used some 40 gr. V-Max and some 40 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip bullets, but the 39 gr. SBK was my bullet of choice for PDs and coyotes.

The only factory ammo I used in my .204 Rugers has been Hornady, but I have read many good reports about folks who like the Fiocchi factory ammo. The Hornady brass I got back in 2004 served me well. I think I fired some of that brass 7 or 8 times. The Hornady brass I purchased later on had primer pockets where the ID of the primer pocket was a bit on the small side and very difficult to clean out with a primer pocket uniformer. I no longer use Hornady brass.

If you have the need to put a new barrel on your action, I would recommend getting at least a 1 in 11 twist or faster so you are able to stabilize the heavier bullets. Two of my .204 Rugers liked the 40 gr. V-Max and 40 gr. Nosler BT and one of them wouldn't shoot those two bullets worth a hoot.

Keep us informed on what you do.

If you're serious about buying loaded ammo, try some tipped with 39 grain Sierra Blitzkings from Hunting Shack www.hsmammunition.com
I reload, but still shoot some similar (discontinued) Federal Premium 39 SBK stuff in one of my 204Rs; haven't found any handloads to beat 'em yet.

I have to say the Fiocchi 32 and 40 grain have not disappointed me.
I am going to hit the go button on some of the Nosler at midway if it is still on sale. I looked the other night and it was back to regular price. With the above link shows it back on special?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts