204 powder suggestion

wjarrell

Im looking on a direction to get my load development started. I just bought a savage 12 vlp in 204 from a buddy and want to start loading for it. So far I got hornady brass and 32 grain nosler varmageddon. What primer and powder do you guys recommend? I would prefer to us a hodgdon extreme powder if possible. Thanks guys

I have only used these two bullets. I just use speedy Bullets for sod puppies and truck gun stuff. Mine is a 1-12 as well in a CZ527

8208 or benchmark would be my picks, but lots of stuff has shot well for me including h335. 450s are my preference but if I only had 400s or any other srp I would be fine with those also. 40s might be tough, except maybe bergers. 35 bergers will shoot great and the 32s also.

CFE223 or 10X
I was gifted a fair bit of 4895, there are those that have great luck with it.

204ruger.com, there is a large thread there on loads. Even a spread sheet of what components were most popular.

I have not found the two 204's I have at the moment hard to work with at all. Some loads are just a bit better. Speed and accuracy at the same time can be hard to find with some cartridges. The 204R has shown me both fairly easy.

Benchmark has been the best in my rifle, Browning X-Bolt, with 8208 close behind. But have had good success with H4895 as well as CFE223. This particular rifle will shoot the 40's but accuracy is sub par, now the berger 35's are the ticket. Rem 7 1/2, CCI 400 have worked the best

I've had good results with win748. With both the 204 s that I've had using the 40 gr Hornady or the 39 gr sierras. I've got some 35 gr Berger's and haven't tried them yet.
I did not have good luck with the 32 gr Hornady bullets out of my first 204 and haven't tried them out of the newest one. This is probably the most fun caliber to shoot stuff with in my opinion. I love watching a feather pillow through a fan effect with crows. Pretty certain they don't like it though

IMR 8208 with Sierra 39 BK. Has worked excellant in 5 or 6 .204's I have loaded for.

N140 and 205s behind 32gr vmax is easy to get shooting. 40gr vmax I had a hard time to run as well as the superformance.
I'd go benchmark for extreme powders. My 204 likes to shoot as fast as it'll run, I basically would fill the case as full as I could with n140(which is on the slowest end of powder for is) and I got the best accuracy.

Thanks guys for all the reply's, I think I'll try and find some benchmark, and then whatever small rifle primers I can find. So far I have 500 pieces of hornady brass and a box of 32 grain nosler varmageddon non tipped bullets.

Recent Posts