Anyone have the pro's and cons of thisd calibre? Not interested in hearring about .223 or .22-250. Just the .204. Also if one has $750 to spend on one which .204 would you get. Thanks in advance.:)

Hey Military Rifle Guy, the OP wanted info about the 204 and here we are discussing the .224. This arguement is pointless and it is clear you don't like the .204. That is fine. There are many of us who do like it. It will not do everything, it is however, whether you like it or not, a very good varmint HUNTER that does the job within its limitations. In bone stock configuration this small bore offers a great deal of accuracy, excellent over the counter Hornady ammo, and reloading is simple and pretty cheap.

For those of us who actually have the rifle and shot it back to back with others all have a common like for the cartridge. That does not mean that we would take this rifle to punch paper at 1000 yards, it is a varmint hunting rifle with hunting bullets that are being discussed. You have an excellent point about LR target shooting. This is not a LR target rifle.

I like my 204s for varmint hunting. It is flat shooting, accurate, light recoiling and you can see the hits. This is the important part for me, especially if you do not have a spotter. You can make your own adjustments. Watching the red mist is a great part of it. I have taken prairie dogs out to 600 yards so far. It is pelt friendly on coyotes as well, especially with the 32 grain bullets. The 39 grain Sierra Blitzking bullets seem to shoot better than the 40 grain VMax bullets for many rifles with 1:12 twist barrels. My first 204 was a 12 pound Savage, I got a second lighter carry 204 rifle because I like the 204 so much. It is my carry coyote rifle.

I like my 204s for varmint hunting. It is flat shooting, accurate, light recoiling and you can see the hits. This is the important part for me, especially if you do not have a spotter. You can make your own adjustments. Watching the red mist is a great part of it. I have taken prairie dogs out to 600 yards so far. It is pelt friendly on coyotes as well, especially with the 32 grain bullets. The 39 grain Sierra Blitzking bullets seem to shoot better than the 40 grain VMax bullets for many rifles with 1:12 twist barrels. My first 204 was a 12 pound Savage, I got a second lighter carry 204 rifle because I like the 204 so much. It is my carry coyote rifle.

Interesting. I have not worked up a good load yet with the 39s. I shot 3 of them at .100 off the lands and with same powder as my vmax and they grouped .75. Not horrible for a start. Next load work session I will try different depths to see if they will tighten up. Sierra uses a stepped BC that is interesting. I have a stepped BC with the Vmax now that seems to work well out to 800 yards.

Didn't mean to anger anyone or get on their nerves. Sorry for getting off topic OP and others. I will agree with Wizard though that they are nice when wanting to watch your hits through the scope.

Sako 75, I have two Savage 204s and am very happy with the accuracy. I worked up a load for my Savage 12 VLP. I got another lighter Savage with a thumbhole. Both would shoot 3 shots under a dime right out of the box, using the same load. Try H4895 and Sierra 39 gr Sierra Blitzkings. Mine like 26 grains of powder, which is about 1 1/2 grains under max.

Had a good day working up a new load with the 39 gr blitzking. This is my 200 yard zero.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 131
This might not look like much but I was happy with the results. When I sent the first round, cold bore it was in the group of 3 on the right. I made no changes and sent some more. From where I was shooting the wind was blocked. I noticed the rounds drifting left and checked the wind. Made the correction and sent the last round, dead center. I videoed it too. Love this little rifle. Stock savage 110 predator.

Attachments

• 204 steel.JPG
    204 steel.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 133
Nice group Brent, looks like you have it dialed in. The 204 is so much fun to shoot. Many people underestimate this round. Now you may want to check out the 20 VarTarg. For the 300 to 400 yard sage rats and further for prairie dogs it is even more fun. Not as much red mist effect at longer ranges but still quick kills. Even less recoil, more efficient round and accurate. It is the 221 Fireball necked down to 20 caliber. Use the same bullets as the 204.

I threw this together real quick. Fun little rifle. I will edit the main vid later where I shoot the steel and it shows the wind affect on the bullet.

[ame=http://youtu.be/XgWhJk7fU7k]204 steel cold bore 640 - YouTube[/ame]

The other 20s you mention are cool too. We use the 204 for yotes and wolves too. I shot a deer with it a couple years ago. 200 yards. Dropped in its tracks.

Nice group Brent, looks like you have it dialed in. The 204 is so much fun to shoot. Many people underestimate this round. Now you may want to check out the 20 VarTarg. For the 300 to 400 yard sage rats and further for prairie dogs it is even more fun. Not as much red mist effect at longer ranges but still quick kills. Even less recoil, more efficient round and accurate. It is the 221 Fireball necked down to 20 caliber. Use the same bullets as the 204.
Only trouble is: I have two perfectly good .221 Fireballs and can't bring myself to turn them into 20VTs.:rolleyes: (Two .204s, also.)

Two 21 Fireballs, oh man, you are 70% there! Shoot a 20 VT and then you will be ordering a new barrel! You already have the brass and the bullets. I love spending other peoples money, it is so much fun!!! I should be the president! Sorry I could not help myself:)

I am going to have to look up the stuff you guys are talking about. Spent some time in the hills yesterday goofing off.

[ame=http://youtu.be/6ugWMvjo5xM]Brent Balloons 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Nice shooting. Looks like a fun day out with buddies. Now you need to find come coyotes and prairie dogs for the red mist fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.