2022 Whitetail down.

I'm bummed to hear this as I have 5 pts in SD as a nonresident. Was hoping to be able to at least have the opportunity at a good deer if I put in the work.
I hunted my tail off for 11 days of a 16 day season before I clocked this guy at over 1500yds out. Some counties are putting up good numbers I'm told, but the vast majority of what I'm seeing being posted is tiny. All the outfitters I've talked with said it was a brutal year. I've talked to two local taxidermists, and both said it was rough... and one said this is the worst he's seen it since he's been in the business.

To put it in perspective... I walked in there with a 152.5" 4x4 and you'd have thought a 220" deer entered the room. It dwarfed nearly everything else in there from this year. That... is mega sad. lol

I think if you had access to the right property next year, it could be good for you. There's always a chance, but it's no secret that the maturity and horn quality of deer is in steady decline in NW SD. ... an the hunting pressure has turned opening weekend into an absolute circus.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Gorgeous buck! Congrats!
Management is a big thing here in Texas , but we have a lot of private land . I'm blessed too have my own land on a big subdivided ranch , there always seem too be a few hunters that shoot anything, I fill your pain , congrats on a nice mature buck I'll take a 150 class 8 any day over a 150 -10 point great shot , great cartridge.

Blessed to have success this morning. 583yd tripod shot bang-flop with the 6mm PRC Primal running 110 A-Tips. Only shot-worthy deer I've seen this year. Bad year for horn around here... literally the only mature deer I've seen.

ZYWVYf8h.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

What state? Better than what I've been seeing in East central Wyoming this year!

I hunted my tail off for 11 days of a 16 day season before I clocked this guy at over 1500yds out. Some counties are putting up good numbers I'm told, but the vast majority of what I'm seeing being posted is tiny. All the outfitters I've talked with said it was a brutal year. I've talked to two local taxidermists, and both said it was rough... and one said this is the worst he's seen it since he's been in the business.

To put it in perspective... I walked in there with a 152.5" 4x4 and you'd have thought a 220" deer entered the room. It dwarfed nearly everything else in there from this year. That... is mega sad. lol

I think if you had access to the right property next year, it could be good for you. There's always a chance, but it's no secret that the maturity and horn quality of deer is in steady decline in NW SD. ... an the hunting pressure has turned opening weekend into an absolute circus.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Congratulations. Great deer.

Congratulations. Great picture of the deer and your rig. Is the top of the legs on your RRS tripod Cerakote also?