2010 washington state public land buck

walter351

Here is my 2010 public land buck. It was my last day for deer hunting as I was leaving to set up elk camp the next day. My friends and I caught a group of deer in an open field that were about 1000 yards away. After watching the group mill around I was able to pick out two legal bucks. (3+ points on one side).

It appeared that the deer were starting to move into some brush that I knew I could access from the main road. As I drove about a 1/2 mile north I could no longer see the deer. I then headed east towards the area where I wanted to walk in. My long time hunting partner told me to take it easy and to check the area leading up to my access point. We knew that we had the deer locked into an area that was about 1/2 section. I stopped the vehicle and was glassing the area where I thought the deer would cross. As I set down my bino's I noticed a doe standing up about 350 yards away. I raised my bino's to see this guy actively pursuing her.

I carefully got out of the vehicle and low crawled out about 60 yards. The buck could have cared less that I was there. I remember thinking it is way to early for him to be acting like he is in rut. I found a sage brush to rest on and ranged him at exactly 300 yards. As I postioned myself for the shot I watched him tear up a sage brush with his antlers. I pulled the trigger and the .264 WIN MAG claimed another deer.

I never measured him, I gutted him, caped him out and took him straight to the taxidermist. I will post pictures once I get him back with measurements. Hey does have three kickers on the right side and two on the left side at the base of the antlers.

GUN: Winchester action, Lilja barrel 27", manners stock, Burris Black Diamond scope. Built by Al Ewing.

130gr. Barnes triple shock. No bullet performance issues, one shot drop every time. 3180 fps

73934_444968827542_577477542_5434878_1020156_n.jpg

74037_444968747542_577477542_5434877_6593188_n.jpg

Congratulations on a great buck. You're one of the small minority that scored this year and that's one you can be proud of. Looking forward to the pictures when you get him back.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.