public land montana

amork

I just moved to montana this last year and will be living in bozeman next summer and fall. I was wondering if anyone could lead me toward public land or good public spots to hunt. I have tried looking around a bit but have been rather unsuccessful. Any help would be much appreciated.

I just moved to montana this last year and will be living in bozeman next summer and fall. I was wondering if anyone could lead me toward public land or good public spots to hunt. I have tried looking around a bit but have been rather unsuccessful. Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the Big Sky Country!

You're in Region 3, check out the BMAs in your area (Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Region 3 Block Management), stop by or call Region 3's Office for the information.

Good luck!

Ed

The further you can get away from bizeman, usually the better the hunting is. There is so many hunters here and a lot of them don't mind putting on the miles on their feet. I tend to drive to the eastern part of the state to deer hunt. A lot less people if you hike in a couple of miles. For elk though the Gallatin and Madison national forest can't be beat. Still it's not a drive till you spot something hunting. You are going to have to really hike to less crowded areas to find the bulls. I find it's best to cross rivers and then climb up drainage to get away from people. Most won't wade across to go hunting. Try to do some summer scouting to find areas with animals. Half the challenge is just finding an area that will hold them. Last have back up options. I have hunted areas for years only to find them crowded the next.

I've had good luck in Montana on both BLM and the private walk-on areas where you sign in at a box (forget what they're officially called). We found a 160" whitetail just sitting in wheat stubble 200 yards from the road.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.