2008 WY Antelope pics

7mmpredator

Worked out the kinks to post pics finally! Here are some from my 2008 WY antelope hunt. Western WY is not the place to go for book antelope but it served as "get to know the outfitter/operation" before trophy mulie and elk.

botw.jpg

pronghorn_200813.jpg

just looked at your 2009 elk pics too, wow some nice hunts you're going on there! with what outfitter did you go and how was the service?

Last edited:
Just noticed it was 2009! 2010 season is upcoming! I've been hunting with Rob Wiley of Non-Typical Outfitters. Great people and hard workers hunting public land from horse back. God willing (economy too) we will hunt muleys this September. There will be a couple of guys in camp from last years elk hunt. I can't wait. They are a top flight operation I can recommend to anyone. Check out their website.

Best regards,

Eddie

That's a total stock Cooper model 22 Phoenix in 6.5-284 single shot with kevlar reinforced stock and Buick vents. It is actually a varmint config with heavier contour barrel.

Interestingly I was the only on in camp that week to kill a bull with one shot. He did a two step and dropped almost in the same spot! 294 yds.

I was referring to the elk. One shot and down and boy was I happy! The day before my guide took an hour an a half hike to get up to the top and around a stand of timber. He posted me low where we saw a small herd go in. When he finally pushed thru, I kid you not, at least 150 head of elk bolted out of that stand with at least two nice big bulls. The only problem they came out high at about 700 yds away and flat out hauling!

Just the same it was an awesome sight to see. Everyone else in camp was shooting a magnum of some flavor or other. One guy shot four times at 100 or so yards. A rump shot, a muzzle shot (face), one miss and one in the boiler room!

One guy rolled the elk with one shot, feet in the air! He and his guide high fived, gathered up their stuff and went to see his trophy who forgot he was shot and got up and headed for a neighboring state!

The antelope went down "boneless" with one 130gr Accubond sleeping pill. We ranged him at 271. He took off quartering away from us. I was on a harris bipod. When he stopped the 6.5-284 barked and my 3 hour antelope hunt was over!

The next two days were spent on horseback with the guides glassing and scouting muley for the hunt to come in 3 days. That adventure alone was worth the trip!

For someone born and raised in NYC, I gotta tell you, I was born n the wrong state!!!

Congratulations. Nice looking antelope and good pictures. Thanks for sharing.

He's all of 14" though nowhere near book. Like you say though for the area he's a decent buck. Looks pretty on the wall just the same.

I'm scheduled for a Sept. mule deer hunt. Again I"ll hold out for a mature buck but I know 30" wide, 200pt. bucks are the exception and not the rule. Especially on public land hunts.

Maybe I'll find that one old buck that's a Yankee fan and wants to "hang" in the home of the Bronx bombers!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.