200.20x vs 215 for 300wsm

cohunt

So I am trying to look at specs, options, experiance, data, etc on these 2 bullets for a 300wsm i have comming in a month or so.

It has a 1:10 twist with saami chamber/throat, it will allow 3.025" overall length in the mag for loading.

I have norma brass and I have rl16, 22, 23, 26, h1000, and maybe a few others that might work (depending on my bullet choice)

I'm planning on trying 2 bullets ( 1 HH and 1 berger) I'm getting info on the HH from steve.

I'm looking for any information from people that have loaded either the 200.20x or the 215 for a 300wsm with saami throat.

I'd like to know where your bullet hit lands in a saami chamber, and which powder you ended up with and your speed and barrel length and c.o.a.l. (Mu barrel will be shorter than normal for suppressred) If youd like to tell me your charge weight I'd appreciate that too (to see if there is a trend with others) but I will start low and work up for my situation.

I'm not looking for other bullets at this time ( I'm sure the bullet war comments will come anyway)

I know about checking the tips (drill bit) and shot placement-- I will most likely shoot the bergers for target and a 2nd option for hunting.

If the 200 class doesnt shoot well then I will drop down in weight but I like to have both a heavy and lighter option in all my rifles.

Thanks for any info you have in advance, I'm just trying to do my homework collecting data and info before I start.

The BR guys are running H4350 with that 200 bullet. I tried it in my WSM, which is saami but was not nearly as accurate as the 180 Elite. Also, most are running a non saami chamber so they can get the bullet out there some.

The 200.20x has a very short bearing, and would be much better position in the neck with a saami throat. I have my 300wsm. Throated long for 215s, coal is 3.18 run in a Tikka long action.

I run the 200.20x in my wsm for the odd F-class shoot. don't remember the oal but can measure later. I run h4831, 65.5gr, gets me 2815fps from a 24" barrel. This rifle has always seemed a bit slow, my hunting 300wsm runs about 50fps faster with any load from the same length barrel.
Accuracy is stellar.

I doubt that you can run a 200.20 from any detachable mag, an hs mag at 2.86" puts the ogive down inside the neck. Maybe a aics with no binder at 2.95" internal length. You can run a 230otm from a magazine, with the shorter hybrid nose it can be mag fed.

Anyone running either of these with a saami chamber, can you give me an oal when the bullet hits lands? Like I said, my mag allows 3.025" so I can load longer than saami spec if the chamber/bullet combo allows it

Im wondering of the slightly less bc, slightly faster mv of the 200 will overcome the 215?

Im wondering of the slightly less bc, slightly faster mv of the 200 will overcome the 215?

Overcome it doubtful......get really close yup.

The Fclass guys that run the 300wsm and 215's typically do so at the 2880-2920ish range, the 20x guys typically run low to mid 3000fps, which drift wise just makes it close to the 215's not equal to or better than.

IMO when it comes to the overall package...velocity/accuracy/BC....the 215H is the bullet for the 300wsm.

Anyone running either of these with a saami chamber, can you give me an oal when the bullet hits lands? Like I said, my mag allows 3.025" so I can load longer than saami spec if the chamber/bullet combo allows it

Yes, I use the 215 (2800 FPS with RL17 out 24") and also have the same mag clearance as yours. Mine touches the lands at 2.277" (CBTO) and 3.003" (COAL). However, my final seating depth is 2.197" (CBTO) or 2.968" (COAL) or .080" off the lands.

Ed

I loaded for a buddy's .300WSM last year.
215 Hyb over RL23 in a 20" 1:10" Kreiger heavy contour @ 2739fps. Absolutely ridiculously accurate. I had tried RL19 too, but got a bit better speeds (about 40fps at the top end of each) and accuracy with RL23.
I have run the 200.20x in a 26" 1:10" left hand twist .30-06Spr, and they are accurate too. I ran H4831SC in it, and hit 2835fps.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.