20 Practical over 223

gvjm

Just came back from a successful Prairie dog hunt. Thinking about the 20 Practical, is it worth going to over the 223 especially with the 53 Vmax? Other than that I know it's easy for the handloader, what's the barrel life?

Just came back from a successful Prairie dog hunt. Thinking about the 20 Practical, is it worth going to over the 223 especially with the 53 Vmax? Other than that I know it's easy for the handloader, what's the barrel life?
I've been considering one for an AR that I have. I'll mainly use it for coyote hunting and setting a 2.5" vital zone zero it does give me more point blank range and flatter trajectory out to 500 yards.

I currently use a 20 Vartarg. If I had to do it over again, I would probably do the 20 Practical.

The 20 VT is very accurate with very good barrel life. For me, the only draw back are the number of steps required to make the 20 VT brass. Not so with the 20 P.

If you use a magazine, the 20 P will work not so with the 20 VT.

If you use a magazine, the 20 P will work not so with the 20 VT.
That is absolutely false, it all depends on action and mag box.
Reformed 223 brass you can buy that is made correctly is a one pass through a FL die you dont even neck down.
I have 3 20VT and a 20 prac I like them both, its all about personal preference.
One thing you need to be aware of is if you have 221 Lapua brass you need the reamer for the 20VT that brass takes a min. .234 nk and .002 bigger at the .200 line or you will get clickers.

This is just me...but for darn sure I'd stay 223 over the 20's. They just make life easier

This is just me...but for darn sure I'd stay 223 over the 20's. They just make life easier
Whats so hard about 20's? Do you change bushings in a die? The 20 prac is that simple, put a 20 cal bushing in a 223 FL die.
If I stayed the easy route I would have 1/3 of the guns I have in my safe.
This is just me... when i got started getting into the wildcat stuff 20byears ago it upped my reloading game big time simply because I had to try different things besides just open a book look for a load and seat a bullet.
It forces you to think outside the box and try different things.

Last edited: