20 moa base or not

A mark V Weatherby and a 700 Sendero. The Mark V base was worst. It took about a 1/16" of bedding to get it to stay flat on top. I didnt trust it so I so later I replaced it. The replacement ( higher priced base) fit beautifully.

Jeff
hopefully with mine being an older savage with a flat back end on the action i wont have a issue like that. i just kind of curious on the mount you had if the radius on the mount matched your action or if the bolt holes were off center causing it to cant a little. this is the exact reason i would rather build as much of my own parts as possable because i hate it when i expect something to fit the way it should and it does'nt.

I just put a 20 MOA base on my 111 LRH just because the local shop had one for my rifle and I figured I was putting a new scope on it with a lot more adjustment so I figured why not. If I can get it down to 3 inches high at 100 it will probably never be set lower than that anyway. Just rambling but I wondered when I bought it "why do I need this" this thread has given my impulse purchase some variety of real purpose. Thanks!

The Rem 700 action has a fair amount of variability from the factory. A problem with the Wtby MkV is hard to rationalize. Is yours made in Japan or Germany, and 6 or 9 lug?

I am aware of the rem receiver issues. I noted that in an earlier post. I do not feel the rifle mfg was the problem in either case. The Mark V was a USA and it was a 6 lug. I called and ordered direct to get the proper rail. I don't just bolt any rail on. I do it with machined straight edge as I am very adamant about keeping the top of the rail true. I do not wish to transfer any uneven stress into the scope tube. With both of these rails, they were off right out of the package. The Wby rail you could see with the naked eye. Tightening down they got worse. It was a job to get them on properly. Once done the 20 moa rail was turned out to be 50 moa. I have custom milled bases to be a perfect match to a receiver and give proper cant to fit a scope to allow all elevation the scope had to be used for long shots. So I am in tune with fitting rails properly. Anyway, I was not comfortable with the wby at all, so I bit the bullet and ordered a Near Mfg base. It fit like a glove and needed only the skim bedding I do on all bases. That was the end of buying less expensive rails for me. I now use Nightforce and Near. I mount a dozen or so rails a year and have not had an issue since. I shoot to some pretty long distances and I want no excuses in my scope mounting process.

So this is what works for me.

Jeff

PS: There was another member not to long ago on here having an issue with a EGW rail having way to uch cant. Might have been a mispackaging issue, or , could have been what I was seeing too. So I am not completely alone here.

im almost wondering if they have gotten parts mixed up from one machining operation to the next. i like the idea of doing a skim bedding on the base.

im almost wondering if they have gotten parts mixed up from one machining operation to the next. i like the idea of doing a skim bedding on the base.

I feel it is a very good idea. The clamping force is what holds the base in place, not the little #6 or #8 screws. Bedding provides a perfect fit for the base to stay in place.

Jeff

I had my scope getting worked on my back yard coyote gun,223. So I thought , might as well put a 20 moa, weaver $35 rail, this is just a jeep gun, I bedded factory tupper ware, replace someday. Mounted scope, went out in snow storm and 100 zeroed. I shot some powder thrown plinkers, 4 into .225. Then I shot 2- 3 shot w/my 69 smk @ 1/2 -, that I SPENT TWICE THE TIME LOADING. I had about 25 moa left in dial, but I shimmed scope a bit also, because I wanted dial, has a ballistic plex also. I got a yote last winter w/ this at 573 yrd. behind house.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts