20 or 30 MOA Base?

Sorry.

Scope is 5.5-22x50

Load is still being decided. 7mag or 300 win at standard velocity. (plan on shooting the HSM/ berger loads)

And it looks like the NF bases are available in 20 or 40. Scratch the 30.

Well, here is what I would do. If fact we did it on my sons 300 win. We used a 40 NF base and a 5.5x22x56 with the 1.125 NF ultalite rings. The 5.5x22 has 100 moa and with the 40 moa base we ended up less than one turn off the bottom zeroed at 250. This was nice since it is not a zero stop scope and it helps to find zero. Just turn all the way down till it stops then back to zero.

With this set up you will have close to 90 moa of up and that will get you as far as you will probably ever want to shoot a 300 win. I think it takes like 24 moa for 1000 yards

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the insight I assume I'll be fine with a 200yd zero then? And if so can I get away with the 20's and still have "up " left to spare?

Jeff,

Thanks for the insight I assume I'll be fine with a 200yd zero then? And if so can I get away with the 20's and still have "up " left to spare?

Yes, the 5.5-22 will have around 50 moa of up with a zero cant base, and you only need 22 to 25 to get to 1000. With a 20 moa base you will have close to 70 moa. This is just another nice thing about a 5.5x22 NXS plenty of elevation.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.