20 moa base or not

beakus33

im getting ready to order a scope base and am wondering whether or not to go 20 moa or not. planning on going out to 1000yrds with a super sniper scope on 300 win mag. i dont want to get one then wish i had the other in a year or so.

You will not need the 20 moa to get to 1000 with that combination. But why not get it incase you ever want to go long for a shot. With a zero canted base you will simply leave that 20 moa of elevation under your zero and never have access to use it.

Jeff

"You will not need the 20 moa to get to 1000 with that combination. But why not get it incase you ever want to go long for a shot".

ok,2 questions,if 1000yds isnt long what the hell is?:D and what is a concevable distance for this combo.

"You will not need the 20 moa to get to 1000 with that combination. But why not get it incase you ever want to go long for a shot".

ok,2 questions,if 1000yds isnt long what the hell is?:D and what is a concevable distance for this combo.

Oops, didnt mean it that way, yes a 1000 yd shot is long.

Tell me what the scope you are getting has for total elevation in MOA and I ill give you some numbers.

Jeff

In the first post he mentioned the Super Sniper. The fixed ones have 100+, I believe it's actually 120 MOA.
You should be fine without a 20 MOA mount. The problem you will run in to with one is you might not get a close range initial zero.

Last edited:
Even though the scope adjustment range may be large enough to get to 1,000 yds, you should use a 20 moa base. That's because off-axis optical aberrations that degrade resolution increase with incidence angle. You should set up your rifle so that the incidence angle is minimized for long distance shots (where resolution matters most).

Assume the base is within +/-10 moa of alignment with the rifle bore. Let's also assume your bullet drops no more than 30 moa at 1,000 yds, and you like to zero your rifle at 100 yds. With a standard base, you would need up to -40 moa of adjustment to get to 1,000 yds. That means you need a total 80 moa of adjustment.

With a 20 moa base you would need up to -20 moa to get to 1,000 yds, but up to 26 moa to get to a 100 yd zero (worse case boresight alignment in each case). That means you need a total 52 moa of adjustment. With a 20 moa base, however, the incidence angle at 1,000 yds is 20 moa less, so the image will have less blur.

Yeah,what said Bruce. Now in my beginner termanoligy i will interpert, i will give it a little down word angle to the barrel, which inturn should have to run the elevation know down towards the bottom to sight in at 100-200, then that leaves most of the adjustment for elevation as the yardage goes out. In a kinda sorta way:D

If your scope has 100 total elevation adjustment and you use a 20 moa base, in a perfect world you will have 70 moa of elevation for shooting long range. If the scope does have 120 moa with a 20 moa base you will have 80 up. This is all affected by accuracy of rings, rail , reciever top and scope center. But it is usually close, unless you buy a EGW then I can not even guess at what it wiill be.

With any of the above senerios I can not see you having a problem with a 100 yard zero. You should be golden.

Here are some dial ups for my 300 win with 210 Bergers @ 4000 ft altitude and a 200 yard zero.

500 = up 6.25 MOA
750 = up 13 MOA
1000= up 25 MOA
1250= up 31.25 MOA
1500= up 43.5 MOA
1760 / 1 mile = up 59.5 MOA

Jeff

well poop,i did order a EGW,20 moa base last night, the more i thought about it i like the idea of having more ***. to use than some neg. that i dont need. now whats the problem you've found with the EGW? Or is it just not close enough to your setup to have a good idea.

whats the problem you've found with the EGW? Or is it just not close enough to your setup to have a good idea.

Many people on this forum use them and say how great they are. The ones I had were far from great and the proposed MOA was way off to boot. But you will probably be fine. I am just set in my ways and know what works for me and what does not make the cut.

Jeff

Broz said:
Many people on this forum use them and say how great they are. The ones I had were far from great and the proposed MOA was way off to boot. But you will probably be fine. I am just set in my ways and know what works for me and what does not make the cut.

Jeff

With what rifles did you have problems using EGW bases?

With what rifles did you have problems using EGW bases?

A mark V Weatherby and a 700 Sendero. The Mark V base was worst. It took about a 1/16" of bedding to get it to stay flat on top. I didnt trust it so I so later I replaced it. The replacement ( higher priced base) fit beautifully.

Jeff

The Rem 700 action has a fair amount of variability from the factory. A problem with the Wtby MkV is hard to rationalize. Is yours made in Japan or Germany, and 6 or 9 lug?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.